On a cold winter day I always crave a hot bowl of soup. Of course it’s also perfect in warmer weather in this gal’s opinion. I’m the kind of person who makes chili in the heat of summer so what do I know. Basically I just love soup.
Chicken Zoodle Soup in particular is hearty because I go heavy on chicken and carrots. Yet it’s still light with the addition of zoodles (zucchini noodles) instead of traditional pasta noodles. If you’ve never made zoodles before this is the dish I’d start with as they don’t overpower. My husband and 5 year old son wholeheartedly approve and that’s really saying something. They are not exactly adventurous eaters!
This particular recipe is enough to feed our family of four for two meals (even when my husband goes back for seconds). If you’re only making this for one or two people you may want to freeze the leftovers or halve the ingredients for a smaller batch.
- 64 oz chicken stock
- 4 - 6 chicken breasts (4 is plenty if they're large)
- 10 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 zucchini
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Add your chicken stock and chicken breasts to your pot. Cook on medium heat for a good 15 minutes.
- While your chicken is cooking, chop your carrots add them to your pot.
- Chop your onion.
- Place your chopped onion, minced garlic, and olive oil in a separate saute pan. Saute on medium heat until your onions are translucent and fragrant. This should only take about 5-8 minutes. Add this all to your pot.
- Remove your chicken breasts and shred or cut into small chunks. Then place back into pot.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Prepare your zoodles. I have both a heavy duty spiralizer from Williams Sonoma and a $4.99 handheld version from Walmart. Both work just great. Don't forget to cut your zoodles after spiralizing them. Otherwise they'll be giant and hard to eat.
- Add your zoodles to the pot along with your chopped cilantro, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for another 5 minutes and you're done! (Zoodles cook very quickly.)