Confession: I am not a sweets person. I am a sweet person. But not a sweets person. I prefer and crave salt.
My go-to snack for the past few years is guacamole. I remember visiting my parents once as an avocado hater. (I know. Who was I? Why would anyone want to hang out with me?) My brother in-law whipped up a fresh batch of guacamole. It changed my life. Can guacamole do that? Oh yes it can. Ever since then I have been the avocado’s biggest cheerleader.
As many of you know I’m a proponent of Whole 30. You can read about my tips for eating out while on Whole 30 (and you better believe it includes guacamole) and about my experience completing 90 straight days of Whole 30. It’s really guacamole that got me through the three rounds I completed. You can take away my sugar and cheese but don’t touch my guacamole.
So today I’m sharing my family’s recipe for the absolute best guacamole. I make it almost every week. It’s that good.
I enjoy mine with raw veggies or plantain chips. Side note: In March 2017 store bought plantain chips were restricted from the Whole30 program. Yes, even if they’re made with all compliant ingredients. But you can still pan fry (no deep frying) or bake your own at home.
Whip up a big bowl and I guarantee your family will be raving. If you choose to share with them of course. No judgment from me if you enjoy it while huddled in your closet so they can’t see you.
- 4 ripe avocados (soft but not brown on the inside)
- 1 small tomato or ½ medium tomato, chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Optional: 1 jalapeño, cored & diced
- Scoop out the inside of your avocados and add to a bowl.
- Mash your avocados until relatively smooth. I like mine a little chunky but that's your call.
- Stir in your chopped tomato, onion, and diced jalapeno (optional).
- Stir in your chopped cilantro.
- Add lime juice, garlic powder, and salt to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips or plantain chips (my favorite). You can also use it as a topping for your burger, chicken, or salad to make them extra special!
If you make this and share it on Instagram I’d love to see it! Tag me and I’ll come check it out!
You know what goes great with guacamole? This Whole30 + Paleo Mexican Breakfast Casserole. Holy moly, it is good, friends.