In 2015 I completed 90 days of Whole 30. No dairy. No grains. No sugar. No fun. Kidding. It was fun. I know it sounds like a slow and painful torture but I loved it. I had a fantastic experience. I did it because I had developed some poor eating habits. Lots of fried food and sweet tea. (I’m very southern apparently.) I also suffered for years from allergies and I suspected that food was the culprit. I wanted to reset my body. I wanted to identify what I was eating that was causing my year-round congestion. I wanted to eliminate my dependence on junk. Whole 30 did all that for me. It’s been well over a year since I finished the program and I’m still carrying the lessons I learned with me.
The biggest challenge that I see people struggle with while on Whole 30 is snacking. There’s so much that’s forbidden that sometimes trying to figure out what you can have feels overwhelming. What can you eat in between meals? Additionally, because our family is a minimum of 8 hours away, we take a lot of road trips throughout the year. I needed to figure out what I could eat while traveling since my usual Wendy’s stop wouldn’t work anymore.
Today I’m sharing some of my favorite Whole 30 snacks with you. Some work well while traveling. Some are big hits at parties. All are delicious. Of course you don’t have to be on Whole 30 to enjoy these. They’re perfect for anyone trying to make healthy decisions.
- Guacamole and plantain chips. This snack is my top choice and I credit it for enabling me to finish 90 days. Really. It was that important to me and still is today. I bet I eat this four times a week even now. I have an amazing guacamole recipe you should try but if you’re in a pinch Wholly Guacamole is an excellent portable solution.
- Deli turkey wrapped pickles. Does this sound weird? I hear ya. But you’re wrong. This snack delivers the salt I want and is perfect for road trips (if you prepare them in advance and don’t mind a little pickle smell). The pickle in this delightful treat truly satisfies when I’m craving a big burger. Go ahead and doubt me. Try it for yourself and then let me know what you think. Oh and don’t forget to check the ingredients. Deli turkey is often full of additives, brown sugar, or honey. Pickles are sometimes made with sugar too. Read the label.
- Orange slices.
- Prosciutto-wrapped melon. I try to avoid pork so I use turkey bacon in place of the prosciutto. Both work great.
- Cauliflower hummus and veggies. You can find tons of recipes for cauliflower hummus online but I like this one with garlic and tahini paste.
- Macadamia nut ricotta devils on horseback. Brace yourself. This is incredible. You’re really going to want to try this recipe from Nom Nom Paleo. I use turkey bacon instead of prosciutto. Everyone will rave over this whether they’re on Whole 30 or not. It feels decadent. My husband and I couldn’t stop eating them the first time I made them.
- Apples and almond butter. Oh my. This combo is so yummy. My son is a big fan of this one too.
- Deviled eggs. Use Whole 30 compliant mayo and mustard. Top with paprika.
- Veggies and dump ranch. Have you made dump ranch yet? Well what are you waiting for? The recipe is courtesy of Whole Sisters. It’s Whole 30 compliant, delicious, and makes a perfect dip for cucumbers, broccoli, and carrots.
- Banana and almond butter.
- Larabars. Read the ingredient list because some do have sugar or peanuts. There are many that don’t. I’m partial to Apple Pie, Banana Bread, and Cashew Cookie. They have no artificial ingredients or sugar. They are delicious with your morning coffee and you can have it on the go. Even my kids love them!
- Apple sauce.
- Salsa and plantain chips.
- Dried fruit. Check the ingredients. Not all will work for Whole 30. It’s really amazing how brands manage to sneak sugar and artificial ingredients into just about everything. This is a great snack because fruit is naturally sweet!
- Applesauce. Make your own or buy it (but read the ingredients).
- Madras Chicken Salad lettuce wraps. This recipe from Nom Nom Paleo was an absolute favorite during my Whole 30 and still is. Serve it in a bowl or wrap a scoop in lettuce. I often serve this for baby showers and birthday parties. Everyone loves it and you’ll never need another chicken salad recipe.
- Tomato slices with a sprinkle of salt.
- Baby carrots wrapped in deli roast beef with a little mustard. The crunch of the carrot and the tang of the mustard are perfection.
- Tuna salad lettuce wraps. Make sure you use Whole 30 compliant mayo and pickles.
- Ants on a log. Peanuts are not allowed on Whole 30 so use almond butter instead. Celery, almond butter, and raisins. So tasty!
- RXBAR. These bars are different than the Larabar because they use egg whites. Their Whole 30 compliant flavors include Apple Cinnamon, Blueberry, Coffee Chocolate, Coconut Chocolate, Chocolate Sea Salt, Pumpkin Spice, and Mint Chocolate.
- Macadamia nuts.
- Egg salad lettuce wraps. Hard boiled eggs, mayo (Whole 30 compliant), mustard (Whole 30 compliant), and salt/pepper. Wrap it in lettuce. It’s that simple.
- LaCroix and pineapple juice. This isn’t technically a snack but I think it’s important to include. Have you tried LaCroix before? It’s a sparkling water sweetened with fruit juice. I like it on it’s own but if you want it to be a little sweeter just mix it with some pineapple juice. I used this as a mocktail (a non-alcoholic cocktail) while on Whole 30. My sister is a huge fan of this and drinks it almost every day. The fizz is reminiscent of soda but without all the cancer-causing ingredients.
My final piece of advice to you is to not limit yourself to traditional snack ideas. Who says you can’t make a potato hash sauteed with spinach, arugula, garlic, and topped with avocado? Not this gal. I can’t tell you how many times I did that very thing when I was feeling a bit ornery and couldn’t make it to dinner.
So there you have it! These are my favorite Whole 30 snacks and now they can be yours too! If you have any other ideas I’d love to hear them in the comments!
Hey, before you leave visit this post on eating out on Whole 30. You’ll discover that it is possible to enjoy yourself at a restaurant while on Whole 30!