Red cabbage. Purple cabbage. Whatever you call it, if you’re not eating it you’re missing out. Why is it that this bright vegetable is often overlooked in the produce section? Not by me, friends. I go straight to that glorious shade of purple (it is very purple even if it’s often referred to as red cabbage) like a magnet.
So let’s talk about this Roasted Red Cabbage.
First, don’t be intimidated by the color. It tastes just like the more popular green cabbage.
Steamed cabbage can be a little bland. Roasting makes the naturally mild flavor pop a bit more. Plus it’s gives you some nice little crunchy pieces that are so tasty.
One head is so inexpensive. I can purchase one for less than $2 but make 8 servings from it. Good luck finding a more economical side dish.
It’s good for you. In fact it has even more health benefits than green cabbage! It’s rich in antioxidants as well as vitamins A, C, and K. Plus it’s low in calories.
The color is downright gorgeous. You just can’t beat this stunning shade of purple and I do love a colorful plate of food.
And, y’all, it so easy to make. Three ingredients. Approximately 30 minutes. That’s it.
- 1 head of red cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread your shredded cabbage on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle your olive oil over the cabbage.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. You'll know it's done because you'll have some beautiful brown crispy pieces mixed in with the bright purple.