Summer time and the grilling is fine.
That rhyme is brought to you by “I have small children so sometimes I rhyme a lot”.
But really though, the grilling is very fine. I’ve told you before how much I loving getting dinner ready on the porch. Not only does grilling make it easy to prepare healthy food for the family, it usually means less dishes. And the people said amen.
These Garlic Balsamic Chicken Kabobs are a guilt-free and totally delicious dinner option. They cook quickly and the marinade is full of so much flavor that they infuse the meat quickly. That makes this a perfect option for when you’re scrambling for meal ideas at 4 pm. (I do it too.)
While the marinade is working it’s magic on the chicken you’ll be cutting up the zucchini, squash, and onion. Give them a quick toss in a little olive oil (with salt and pepper) so they’ll brown a bit on the grill. You can accomplish this by using a ziploc bag or just spread them out on a baking sheet.
Your marinated chicken along with the olive oil coated veggies go on the skewers and to the grill.
They’re ready to come off the grill and onto a plate in about 10 minutes. Not bad at all, right? A complete meal on a stick. Happy grilling!
Want another grilling idea? Check out this recipe for Grilled Orange Chicken.
- 6 chicken breasts
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 zucchini
- 4 yellow squash
- 2 white or yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cut your chicken breasts into large chunks. If you cut them too small the chicken can dry out.
- Toss the chicken in a large ziploc bag with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and dried basil. Squeeze out excess air and zip closed. Use your fingers to massage the marinade evenly around the chicken. Let sit for at least 30 minutes, flipping the bag over occasionally. This marinade is packed with flavor so you don't need to marinade this all day. 30 minutes to 1 hour is plenty of time. Remove chicken from bag when you're ready to grill.
- Slice zucchini, squash, and onion into large chunks. My squash and zucchini slices are about 1 inch thick.
- Lightly coat your veggies with olive oil, salt, & pepper. I do this my spreading mine out on a baking sheet and tossing with my fingers.
- Skewer your veggies and chicken.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Place your kabobs on the grill. Grill for 5 -7 minutes, flip, and grill other side for another 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.