When I first began paying attention to the ingredient lists of the food products I was purchasing I was genuinely surprised by all the unnecessary junk thrown into barbecue sauce. So many of them are filled with high fructose corn syrup and food coloring. Sugar or corn syrup are usually the very first ingredient!
I knew right away that I wanted to create my own that was free from these things.
It took a lot of trial and error to get the flavor exactly where I wanted it. We did quite a bit of taste testing which was no trouble at all. My house is full of willing taste testers! Myself included.
This particular recipe took the grand prize though and it’s quickly becoming a favorite. I can’t wait for you to try this Sugar Free Oven Baked BBQ Chicken for yourself!
The chicken comes out juicy and you’ll love it slathered in my simply sweetened sauce.
The sauce is smooth (not too thick and not too runny). Dates and apple juice give it it’s sweetness. The chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and apple cider vinegar give it a depth of flavor and help to balance the sweetness.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- BBQ SAUCE:
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- ½ cup apple juice
- 5 dates, pitted
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 6-8 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ghee (can skip for a dairy free version)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a high powered blender (I use a Vitamix) and blend until smooth.
- Place the chicken thighs in a baking dish or on a baking sheet. Sprinkle salt and garlic powder on top of each thigh. Divide ghee evenly between top of each chicken thigh.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dish from oven and liberally brush sauce on top. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip the chicken over. Liberally brush more sauce on top. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip the chicken over. Brush remaining sauce on top or (if you've used all your sauce) brush the sauce that's gathered in the bottom of the pan onto the top of the chicken. Turn the oven up to 425 degrees. Bake for final 10 minutes.
Made this recipe? If you share it on Instagram I’d love it if you’d tag me so I can check it out!