This Creamy Herby Mushroom Chicken is a delicious low carb dinner that I am currently loving. My whole family gobbled it up including my anti-veggie husband and children (who aren’t really anti-veggie but they’re kids so really there’s no telling what they’ll like and what they won’t).
The chicken stock, coconut milk, herbs, and spices create a creamy flavorful sauce that you’ll want to lap right up. Don’t worry, I won’t tell if you do it. It’ll be our secret.
Because I know I get this question every time I use coconut milk, no, you will not taste any coconut in here. I use a full fat unsweetened coconut milk. When I say full fat I mean it’s not the one that says low fat or non fat. Also it has no sweeteners in it. Don’t use the coconut milk you’ll find in the refrigerator section. The consistency is much thinner so it won’t give you the creamy texture you want in a good sauce.
For this recipe I’m using chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are juicier than chicken breasts. They have a more succulent flavor than white meat does and they’re less expensive in the grocery store (score!). You can of course substitute chicken breasts if you’re into eating only white meat. That’s fine. But if you’d like to try dark meat this is a great recipe to use so I’d encourage you to give it a go.
You’ll also notice that I used a mix of spinach and arugula. Honestly I rarely ever use spinach alone. Arugula has a slightly peppery flavor but, like spinach, the overall taste is very mild. The two of them together sauteed with garlic is oh so tasty. Plus they’re packed with a million nutrients (slight exaggeration) that do all kinds of good things for your body.
To best take advantage of the sauce I recommend serving this dish over roasted potatoes, a potato hash, cauliflower rice, or traditional rice. You certainly can enjoy it by itself though!
- 5 - 6 chicken thighs, skinless & boneless
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat of choice (ghee/olive oil/coconut oil)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, fresh
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup full fat unsweetened canned coconut milk
- ½ tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups spinach & arugula blend, fresh
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme for topping
- Add 2 tablespoons of a cooking fat of choice to a large saute pan or cast iron skillet. (If you're not dairy free use ghee but olive oil or coconut oil also work great.)
- Heat pan to medium high heat. Once it's hot add your chicken thighs. You'll know the pan is hot enough if you get a good sizzle as you place your chicken in the ghee/olive oil/coconut oil.
- Brown chicken thighs on both sides. This can take 3 - 5 minutes per side.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add mushrooms, chicken stock. coconut milk, dried parsley, dried basil, minced garlic, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken thighs from pan. Stir in your spinach and arugula. It will wilt immediately once stirred into your sauce.
- Place chicken thighs back in pan and top with chopped fresh thyme.
- Serve over roasted potatoes, potato hash, cauliflower rice, or traditional rice to best take advantage of the yummy sauce. Enjoy!
Made this? If you share it on Instagram I’d love it if you’d tag me so I can check it out!