Dairy Free Mexican Breakfast Casserole
This Dairy Free Mexican Breakfast Casserole is a hearty way to start your day. It’s fully loaded with beef, potatoes, peppers, and eggs. Plus this entree is paleo, Whole30, and gluten free!
Update: This recipe was originally published in 2017 and has been republished with all new photos.
Let’s talk breakfast. I swear I wake up thinking about food. Okay, that happens only after I’ve had my coffee. There’s minimal thinking about anything before coffee. But post coffee I’m totally thinking about food.
This Mexican Breakfast Casserole is a totally good for you and filling way to start the day.
It’s hearty because I’ve loaded it with shredded hash brown potatoes. This produces a very thick casserole so you’ll definitely wow your family or guests when they get a slice. (Seriously, I took a ruler to it and its over 1 1/2 inches thick.)
This casserole is full of yummy flavors that are synonymous with great Mexican food. I could live on Mexican food alone, couldn’t you?
And of course you can really eat it any time of day! No point in denying yourself this goodness just because it’s not breakfast.
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Lean ground beef or turkey
- Bell pepper
- White or yellow onion
- Shredded potatoes
- Olive oil
- Green onion
To start you’ll brown the ground beef (or turkey). Set aside. Then use the same skillet to sauté the bell pepper and onion. Set aside. Now brown the shredded potatoes.
Spread the finished potatoes in the bottom of a greased baking dish. Top with the meat, peppers, and onion.
The eggs get whisked together with water and seasonings. Pour the egg mixture in the baking dish. Top with green onion and tomato.
Now it’s time to pop the casserole in the oven to bake!
What kind of potatoes are best?
We want shredded potatoes for this breakfast casserole. Any variety works well but I tend to stick to russet or gold potatoes. You can shred your own or get a bag of frozen shredded hash browns from the grocery store. (If Whole30 make sure you check that ingredient list!)
Can you use any color bell pepper?
Definitely use whatever bell pepper you have on hand. I use 1/2 red and 1/2 green for two reasons: (1) I like the color contrast in the finished dish (2) the red bell pepper has a hint of sweetness that balances out the green pepper. But you know I’m a big believer in working with the ingredients you have so if you want to use one whole green bell pepper (or red, orange, yellow, whatever) go for it!
Can you add cheese?
Absolutely! I’ve designed this breakfast casserole to be loaded with flavor without any dairy at all, but you can totally add cheese if you like! I’d recommend 3/4 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella. Add it to the baking dish just before you pour the egg mixture in.
What size baking dish should you use?
I recommend an 8 x 8 or 8 x 9 baking dish for this casserole.
Can you make this in advance?
Yes! You can make it the night before, refrigerate overnight covered with a lid or foil, and bake the next morning (without the lid or foil).
How to serve this breakfast casserole
More recipes like this:
Dairy Free Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
- 15 oz shredded potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 9 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced (green part only)
Easy Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
Optional Toppings: salsa, guacamole, avocado, jalapeno, hot sauce, and/or fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish. (I grease mine with olive oil.)
- Brown and crumble your ground beef in a skillet on medium high heat. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Sauté the chopped green pepper, red pepper, and onion into the same skillet (with the beef now removed). If you used a particularly lean beef you may have to add a little oil. I typically don't need to as I find the bit of grease left in the pan is enough. Sauté until tender, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and stir in with your beef. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the hot skillet. Add your shredded potatoes and spread evenly. Cook 5 minutes. Carefully turn the potatoes. Cook another 5 minutes. They should have some browning and be softened.
- Spread the potatoes evenly over the bottom of your greased baking dish. Top with the beef, green peppers, red peppers, and onion.
- In a large bowl whisk your eggs, water, and Easy Taco Seasoning. Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish. Top with green onion and tomato.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Slice and serve topped with guacamole, salsa, a drizzle of ranch dressing, jalapenos, cilantro, and/or hot sauce. Pile it high and make this breakfast a feast!