Nothing is more comforting than a bowl of hot soup and this 30 Minute Dairy Free Tomato Basil Soup tops the list for me.
As a child I loathed tomato soup. I know. I know. Something was clearly wrong with me. I recall one time being made to sit at the dining room table after everyone else had eaten and left the table. I had to stay until I finished. It felt like an eternity (was probably 15 minutes). In my frustration I played with my soup instead of actually eating it. When I turned around I discovered that in my effort to avoid eating the soup I’d inadvertently (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it) been flicking it all over the wall behind me. There were splotches of tomato soup everywhere. I was in big trouble.
Thankfully I am no longer splattering tomato soup on the walls, but I’m still not a fan of canned tomato soup. It’s a little meh. You know what’s not meh? My 30 Minute Dairy Free Tomato Basil Soup.
This soup is simple. I love simple. It’s a tomato soup so you’re going to get the taste of tomatoes but you’ll also get so much more.
For this recipe I use 3 lbs of tomatoes. Sometimes I like to use up the tomatoes I have on hand so I may mix medium sized tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. If you want to do something like that keep in mind that 15 – 20 cherry tomatoes equals about 1 lb and 3 medium tomatoes also equal 1 lb. So you could use 20 cherry tomatoes and 6 medium tomatoes or some combination that gets you to the 3 lb mark. Or just use a food scale to weight it all so you know you get it right.
The tomatoes simmer in chicken stock, garlic, and onion. This gives the soup a richness of flavor that a boring can of tomato soup lacks.
The coconut milk adds creaminess and I swear you’re not going to miss the dairy. (You won’t use much so there is absolutely no coconut flavor in the finished soup.)
I’ve included plenty of fresh basil because fresh herbs make everything better, right? Answer: yes.
Give this a go and let me know if you love it as much as my family does. If you share your finished soup on Instagram tag me and I’ll come check it out!
30 Minute Dairy Free Tomato Basil SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat of choice (I use ghee or olive oil)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup fresh basil (finely chopped)
- Add your cooking fat of choice (I use olive oil or ghee), sliced onion, and minced garlic to your pot. Saute on medium high heat for approximately 3 - 5 minutes or until onion wilts and becomes a bit translucent. You do not want your onion or garlic to brown.
- Slice the tops off your tomatoes (the part where the stem connects). Skip that if you're using cherry tomatoes.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth to your pot. Cover and cook on medium high heat until tomato skin wrinkles and pulls back from tomato flesh. This typically takes 10 - 15 minutes.
- Pour everything into a large blender along with the tomato paste, coconut milk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Blend until smooth. If your blender isn't big enough you may need to blend half and then the other half.
- Pour the now creamy soup back into your pot. Stir in your finely chopped fresh basil.
- Now you're ready to ladle the soup into bowls! Garnish with a little extra basil or a drizzle of coconut milk to really impress your guests.