Summer Southwest Salad
Why, hello there summer. This Summer Southwest Salad combines traditional southwest flavors with the citrus I always associate with warm weather days. It’s a good one, friends.
Let’s talk salads. I eat a lot of them. They’re an easy way to get some veggies in and there are about a billion ways to make one. Plus after I finish one I don’t feel like someone has to roll me from the room and into a bed. So that’s a plus.
This salad features my Grilled Orange Chicken. If you make it the night before this salad is the perfect way to use the leftovers for lunch the next day. Of course if you’re in a rush and didn’t make it the night before you should absolutely feel free to use whatever chicken you have on hand or chop up some store bought rotisserie chicken. I love to use rotisserie chicken when I’m short on time.
In here you’ll also find black beans, corn, pico de gallo, avocado, jack cheese, and a few orange slices.
Here’s a life hack. If you grilled corn the night before (and who grills without corn?) cut corn kernels off a leftover cob for this salad. Plus you can get your black beans right from a can.
I’m using my favorite dressing, Cilantro Citrus Vinaigrette. If you haven’t tried that salad dressing yet I have news for you. It’s so easy. Everything goes right into the blender. Voila, it’s done. It’s bright, light, and perfect for these sunny days.
The combination of this dressing, chicken, plus a few other ingredients makes for one super delicious southwest salad. Who says a salad has to be boring? Definitely not me.
- [url href=”https://thewholecook.com/2017/06/14/grilled-orange-chicken/”]Grilled Orange Chicken[/url]
- [url href=”https://thewholecook.com/2016/01/21/cilantro-citrus-vinaigrette/”]Cilantro Citrus Vinaigrette[/url]
- romaine lettuce, washed & chopped
- 1/4 cup black beans, canned
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/2 orange, sliced into chunks
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- jack cheese
- pico de gallo
- Rinse lettuce, chop, and add to dish.
- Slice your Grilled Orange Chicken (or other chicken of choice). Add to lettuce.
- Top with black beans, corn, 1/2 orange, 1/2 avocado, jack cheese, and pico de gallo.
- Combine ingredients and toss in Cilantro Citrus Vinaigrette.