Have you heard me profess my love for sweet potato “toast” yet? It’s a favorite if you’re trying to avoid bread and want a healthier alternative.
Does it taste like bread? No. It’s a sweet potato, silly. But it cooks fast in the toaster (yes, the toaster!) and you can load it up with all kinds of yummy goodness. Throw on some egg and veggies for a satisfying breakfast. Add some almond butter and apples for a sweet treat. There are so many good options! But today it’s all about this Barbecue Chicken on Sweet Potato “Toast”.
Slice your sweet potato into “toast” and pop them in the toaster. They’re finished when they soften. It takes a few minutes and the amount of time varies based on how hot your toaster gets and how thick you cut your sweet potato. Just try it out and add additional time until you figure out what works for your toaster.
I use rotisserie chicken that I buy already cooked from the grocery store. What a time saver! I can get the full 2 cups of shredded chicken from one rotisserie chicken. You can of course grill your own chicken and shred it. Whatever works for you!
If you’re on Whole30 you’ll want to use a compliant barbecue sauce. I make my own because it’s super simple (everything just goes in the blender). You can find the sauce recipe in this Sugar Free Oven Baked BBQ Chicken.
Mix the sauce with your chicken and start scooping it on your “toast”. Add a drizzle of Easy Ranch Dressing if you like. Now you’re all done!
Enjoy these for lunch, dinner, or as an appetizer! They won’t disappoint!
- Slice your sweet potato into "toast". Place in the toaster until softened. (Some toasters will brown them a bit too.) It takes approximately 7 minutes in my toaster but it can take as little as 5 minutes depending on how hot your toaster gets.
- In a large bowl stir together your barbecue sauce and shredded chicken.
- Scoop the barbecue chicken onto the tops of your cooked "toast" slices.
- Drizzle with ranch dressing if you like.
- Enjoy! If you believe in generous scoops of the chicken (I sure do) you'll probably want a fork!