This is for everyone who loves easy dinners… Slow Cooker Shredded Pineapple Chicken! With September right around the corner I am so ready to toss ingredients into the slow cooker, set it, and forget it. How about you?
Do you call it a slow cooker or a crock pot? I feel like crock pot is the term we use most in the South. (I know it’s technically the brand name of a specific slow cooker, but I call all tissue Kleenex even though sometimes we buy Puffs. Ya feel me?)
This Slow Cooker Shredded Pineapple Chicken is a life saver when you know your day or evening is going to be a little crazy. If you can plan ahead all you need to do is throw the ingredients in the slow cooker. When dinner time hits it’s all done and ready to eat!
The pineapple flavor isn’t super strong in this dish. It adds a bit of sweetness and helps create a yummy sauce you’ll want to lick right up.
So why am I using canned pineapple instead of fresh when I’m a huge advocate for fresh ingredients? Canned fruit gets a bad wrap. If you’re using the kind that includes 100% fruit juice (no sugary syrups) then it can have just as much nutritional value as the fresh variety. Plus it’s something I keep in the pantry so I don’t have to run out and buy it every time I want to make this recipe. I love the convenience!
Can you use fresh pineapple? Well of course you can! I’d chop it up nice and small. Be sure to include some of that juice too. You can also use canned pineapple rings or canned diced pineapple but I’d chop that too so it’s the consistency of crushed pineapple. If you’re using the canned crushed pineapple (my recommendation) just dump it all in.
There are so many ways to serve up this chicken. The kids love it over rice and my husband enjoys his in a sandwich. If you want to go lighter or you’re doing Whole30 I recommend adding this on top of cauliflower rice or sauteed veggies like broccoli, zucchini, or green beans.
Slow Cooker Shredded Pineapple ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2.5 - 3 lb chicken breasts that's approximately 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 16 oz crushed pineapple in 100% juice, no syrup
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker. Add all other ingredients on top.
- Cook on high with lid on for 3 - 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and use a fork to shred it. Place shredded chicken back in the slow cooker. Stir.
- Add additional salt or pepper to taste.
- Serve over traditional rice, cauliflower rice, or veggies. This is also delicious in a baked potato or on a sandwich.