Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
Dinner in a bowl? That’s still light on calories and full of good for you ingredients? If that makes you as happy as it does me you’re going to love this Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup!
Update: This recipe was originally published in 2018 and has been republished with all new photos.
This soup has so much flavor in it but it’s way better for you than you may think. Call it a taco soup, fajita soup, or a tortilla soup. It all works. The idea is that you’re going to get those big flavors of pepper, onion, and plenty of seasonings. It’s seriously tasty, friend.
Everything goes right into the slow cooker. When it’s done cooking simply shred your chicken and stir in fresh chopped cilantro. Super easy, right?
I’ve included no rice or beans but I swear it’s very filling without it. That chicken shreds beautifully to make this soup plenty hearty. It just doesn’t need anything else!
I love mine with sliced avocado on top. My kids enjoy shredded cheese and sour cream in their bowls. My husband likes to eat his with tortilla chips. You can’t go wrong!
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken stock
- Bell pepper
- Canned diced tomatoes
- A few simple seasonings
Can you use chicken broth instead of chicken stock?
Absolutely. I do it all the time. The flavor difference is usually fairly minor. Just adjust the seasonings at the end if necessary.
Does this soup freeze well?
Yes! This soup freezes beautifully. Feel free to make extra, freeze it, and thaw it when you’re ready to eat. Thaw and reheat on medium heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
How can you make this soup on the stovetop?
If you don’t want to use your slow cooker, instead start by simmering your onion and peppers in 1 – 2 tbsp cooking fat of choice (that’s not needed when cooking in the slow cooker) in a soup pot on the stove. Once they’ve started to wilt and get a bit translucent add in all other ingredients except for the cilantro. Let it simmer on medium to medium high heat for around 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken and stir in your cilantro. That’s it! All done in about 45 minutes total.
More recipes like this:
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
- 2 lb chicken breasts, about 4 chicken breasts
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup salsa, jarred
- 28 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes, canned
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker. Add all other ingredients on top except for the fresh cilantro. (We'll add the cilantro later.)
- Cook on high with lid on for 3 - 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken and then place it back in the slow cooker.
- Taste. Add more salt if that's your preference.
- Stir in your chopped fresh cilantro.
- Ladle into bowls and serve! Add avocado, cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips if you like. It's perfectly delicious without as well!