Quick Garlic Chicken Cutlets
Quick Garlic Chicken Cutlets are the easy entree you need when you’re short on time and ingredients! Serve with a side of tasty veggies or over pasta.
As I’m writing this, many of us are staying close to home because of the coronavirus. While we want to continue to prepare heathy meals, ingredients are limited and we’re all generally feeling overwhelmed. This chicken recipe was crafted with just that in mind. The ingredient list is short and you likely have what you need already.
These Quick Garlic Chicken Cutlets are reminiscent of how I first started preparing chicken in my 20’s. I loved tossing a protein of some kind in a skillet with olive oil and tinkering with seasonings until I got it just right. Back then I was still growing in my kitchen confidence so it was all about simplicity! And garlic. Because really it’s always been about garlic for me.
One of my favorite tricks for sautéing chicken is to slice breasts horizontally to create thin cutlets. This helps the chicken cook quickly and evenly. (Just be careful not to overcook!)
To make these cutlets you’ll add seasoning and sauté them in a little oil to get the outside brown. You’ll have to do two batches to allow room for all the chicken. This step is important because while simmering chicken in sauce can make it extra flavorful, it doesn’t add any color. Nobody is a fan of beige chicken, friend. So let it get some browning before moving to the next step.
Set aside the browned cutlets. Then sauté the minced garlic until golden (about a minute). Add chicken stock and dried parsley to the pan. Use your spatula to scrape up any bits of chicken stuck to the bottom. (Those little pieces are so tasty!)
Reduce the heat and add the chicken back. Cover and simmer until cooked through.
More recipes like this:
Quick Garlic Chicken Cutlets
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee, Can sub regular butter or vegan butter.
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried parsley, Can sub 1 tablespoon fresh parsley.
- Slice the chicken breasts horizontally. This will give you 8 thin cutlets so they'll cook faster and more evenly.
- In a small bowl, stir together salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Add oil to a large skillet. Heat to medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add cutlets. Season the top of your cutlets with seasoning mixture. Sauté until each side has some browning and chicken is mostly cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. (Depending on the size of your chicken you may need to saute in two batches. If so, feel free to add an extra tablespoon on oil when beginning the second batch.) Once chicken is browned, remove from pan and aside.
- Add ghee and minced garlic. Sauté until garlic is golden, about one minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add chicken stock and parsley. Scrape up any bits of chicken stuck to the bottom of the pan. (Those are yummy!) Now add the chicken cutlets back to the skillet. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.