Instant Pot Sweet Sesame Chicken is healthy, gluten free, dairy free, and totally delicious! This easy chicken recipe is a great way to start using your Instant Pot. The finished chicken is saucy so serve it over cauliflower rice, traditional rice, or roasted veggies.
Everything goes right into the Instant Pot so when I say this dish is easy I really mean it, friend.
I’m using a date syrup that’s made from 100% medjool dates to add some sweetness. The brand I prefer and find at Whole Foods is called Just Date Syrup. You can also use honey if you’re not avoiding honey. (Don’t use it if you’re doing a round of Whole30. Stick to the date syrup.)
After cooking I just shred the chicken right in the Instant Pot with two forks.
Then ladle your chicken and sauce over cauliflower rice, traditional rice, or roasted veggies. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. You’re ready to eat!
Frozen or thawed chicken?
It’s up to you! If you use frozen chicken you’ll set your Instant Pot timer for 25 minutes. If your chicken is already thawed you’ll go for 20 minutes.
Natural release or quick release?
A quick release is best for foods that cook fast like vegetables. You don’t want them to continue cooking any longer than absolutely necessary or they’ll be mush.
A natural release allows the cooking to stop gradually. This is ideal for large cuts of meat (think of it like letting your meat rest) because it will give you more tender meat. This is also a good idea for large pots of soup so you don’t end up with foam shooting out of the valve.
For shredded chicken you can use either method. You may find that some of the chicken breasts are harder to shred than others but once shredded (or chopped) you won’t noticed a difference. Thighs are most likely to be tender and shred easiest.
Slow Cooker Instructions (if Instant Pot isn’t your thing)
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Add all other ingredients on top.
- Cook on high with lid on for 3 – 4 hours or low for 6 – 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and use a fork to shred it. Place shredded chicken back in the slow cooker. Stir.
More recipes like this:
Instant Pot Sweet Sesame ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 chicken thighs (skinless and boneless) or breasts frozen or fresh (cooking time varies depending on which)
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup Coconut Aminos
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/4 cup date syrup or honey (if not Whole30)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- sesame seeds
- Add all ingredients to Instant Pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot. Set it to Pressure Cook (or Manual, depending on the model Instant Pot you have) on high pressure for 20 minutes if chicken is thawed or 25 minutes if chicken is frozen.
- Carefully release the steam once done or do a natural release. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired. Serve over cauliflower rice, traditional rice, or roasted veggies. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.