Banana Bread is a must have in my home. I make a few every month and we enjoy it for breakfast or dessert. Or fresh out of the oven at any time of day because let’s be honest it’s just plain yummy.
Given my love for it I knew I needed to create a muffin version that I’d feel good about feeding my family. That means I wanted to eliminate the four, sugar, and dairy. It needed to feel just as comforting and decadent as the traditional bread.
Brace yourself. You’re going to really be wowed by these Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Muffins.
Have you ever tried an oatmeal muffin recipe before? Sometimes they feel a bit too much like oatmeal for my liking. To rectify that I’ve blended the oats so the batter texture remains completely smooth. In fact everything (except for the chocolate chips) just goes straight in the blender. I’m always in favor of a dish I can make with minimal prep, aren’t you?
The banana flavor is strong, as it should be because this is essentially a banana bread after all.
And naturally I go heavy on the chocolate chips. Because if you don’t want lots of chocolate chips we can’t be friends.
This recipe is gluten free. It can also be dairy free and sugar free if you use a dairy free and sugar free brand of chocolate chips. (I personally use traditional chocolate chips because I’m quite happy just to have the sugar and dairy eliminated from the batter. It’s totally your call though.)
When my six year old son took his first bite of one he squealed. Literally squealed. That’s how I know it’s a winner. Also I ate three. Another sure sign.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (or a sugar free & dairy free version if you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all your ingredients except the chocolate chips into a blender. Blend until batter is completely smooth and oats are finely ground.
- Lightly grease your muffin tin. (I use olive oil.)
- Fill your muffin cups to approximately ⅔ full (or just a bit more) with batter.
- Add chocolate chips to each muffin. (Feel free to use less if you don't want a very chocolate filled muffin.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Made these amazing muffins? I’d love to see them! Tag me on Instagram if you share a photo so I can check it out!
Hey, if you enjoy these you’ll want to try my Chocolate Banana Bread! It’s also made with oats and, let’s be honest, tastes like an incredible chocolate cake. Who doesn’t need more of that in their life?