A good frittata (just like an omelet or breakfast casserole) is always about how much flavor you add to the egg mixture. This is especially important when you’re not using cheese.
This Chicken Sausage & Pepper Frittata is definitely not short on big flavors. But I bet y’all knew that because I am never one to making light food light.
Plus it’s so daggum pretty. It just feels fancier than making an omelet, doesn’t it?
So what makes this frittata yummy? The grand prize goes to the combination of chicken sausage, peppers, and onions. You can use whatever color bell peppers you prefer. I went with a mix of green, orange, and red.
I also use plenty of spices and a little Tabasco. Don’t let that alarm you. This is not a spicy dish at all. (If you do love heat feel free double the Tabasco.)
Now on to making this bad boy.
First you’ll give your peppers, onions, and chicken sausage and quick saute in your cooking fat of choice. (Mine is ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil.) I use the same cast iron skillet I bake my frittata in because I’m all about limiting the dirty dishes.
While that’s cooking I whisk my eggs with all the spices until they’re thoroughly combined. Then pour the egg mixture over my finished peppers, onions, and sausage.
Tip: If your cast iron skillet is well oiled you shouldn’t need to add any additional oil to prevent sticking. I don’t. But if you’re worried about sticking just remove the cooked peppers, onions, and sausage. Wipe out the pan and lightly oil it. Then add it all back in and pour in the egg mixture.
Everything goes in the oven for around 10 – 12 minutes. 11 minutes is the sweet spot for my oven. Fast, right? The eggs take so little time to set but do make sure the center isn’t wiggly.
The finished product makes for an impressive addition to breakfast or brunch! I hope you love it as much as I do.
- 1½ bell peppers of choice, sliced (I use ½ green, ½ red, & ½ orange.)
- ½ onion, sliced
- 2 chicken sausages, sliced into thin circles
- 1½ tablespoons cooking fat of choice (I use ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil.)
- 9 eggs
- ½ tablespoon Tabasco
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add your cooking fat of choice to the cast iron skillet and place on the stove at medium high heat.
- Toss in the sliced peppers, onion, and chicken sausages. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until peppers and onions start to wilt.
- In a large bowl whisk together your eggs, Tabasco, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. When thoroughly combined pour the mixture over your peppers, onions, and chicken sausages.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 - 12 minutes. (11 minutes is the sweet spot for my oven.) Check to make sure the center isn't very wiggly and then remove from the oven.
- Slice and serve!
Made this recipe? If you share it on Instagram I’d love it if you’d tag me so I can check it out!
If you like this yummy frittata I bet you’ll be a fan of my Chicken Sausage & Peppers recipe! It’s such a fast weeknight dinner!