Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
This slow cooker shredded chicken is incredibly versatile and easy. It’s a great protein to add to your weeknight meal rotation! You can use it for meal prep or add it to any other recipe that calls for shredded or pulled chicken.
I have lots of shredded chicken recipes on the blog because I love a great protein that I can use a thousand different ways. This Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken is designed to be mild in flavor so that you can add it to anything. You can also amp up the flavor using some of my recommendations listed a bit further down the page.
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken stock
Can you use water instead of chicken stock?
Yes, you can sub water or vegetable broth if you like. Keep in mind that if you’re using water you may want to adjust your seasonings to account for the lack of flavor in the liquid.
Ways to customize this chicken
You can experiment with different seasonings and herbs based on what you have on hand. Here are a few ideas:
- For bigger flavor, increase the amount of paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder you use. I also like adding chili powder to this chicken recipe.
- For spice, use a smidge of crushed red pepper flakes (a little goes a long way), a drained can of green chiles, or a splash of hot sauce.
- Incorporate fresh or dried herbs by adding basil, parsley, and/or oregano. You can also use an Italian seasoning blend.
Does this chicken freeze well?
Yes! Just place the finished Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken in a freezer bag or other freezer safe container. If using a bag be sure to squeeze out any excess air before sealing. This chicken will be good in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy it just thaw it out and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What to do with the remaining liquid in the slow cooker?
The chicken will continue to absorb the liquid once shredded. You can drain the remaining liquid before serving if you’re planning to eat the chicken immediately. If using this chicken for meal prep I recommend keeping the liquid with the chicken so that it’s perfectly juicy when you’re ready to eat.
How to serve shredded chicken
- Chicken Wraps – Add this chicken to my Grilled Ranch Chicken Wraps instead of following the instructions there to sauté chicken.
- Pizza – Make a pizza with this shredded chicken and your favorite other toppings (I recommend mozzarella, red onion, and a drizzle of barbecue sauce).
- Chicken Salad – This shredded chicken would work great in my Healthy Curry Chicken Salad or Ultimate Chicken Salad.
- Dips – My Dairy Free Green Chile Chicken Dip or Dairy Free Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip are fantastic appetizers you’ll love!
- Salads – Top my Easy Kale Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing with this shredded chicken to make it a meal instead of a side.
- Breakfast – Use this chicken in my Salsa Chicken Egg Muffins or simply add it to an omelet!
Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker. Add all other ingredients on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high for 3 hours. I recommend cooking on low for the juiciest chicken.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and use a fork to shred it. Place shredded chicken back in the slow cooker. Stir. Add additional salt, pepper, or other seasonings to taste. You'll see quite a bit of liquid but the chicken will absorb a lot of it once shredded. Taste and add more salt or seasonings if desired. (You can drain the remaining liquid before serving if you like. If using this chicken for meal prep I recommend keeping the liquid with the chicken so that it's perfectly juicy when you're ready to eat.)