Bring on the cold weather and all the soups! Okay, it’s still 90 degrees here but in the morning it’s 60 degrees so I believe that’s cause to celebrate.
I’m working like crazy on a lot of fun comfort food recipes for y’all so there’s plenty more to come. Today though it’s all about this 30 Minute Dairy Free Loaded Potato Soup.
It is so creamy. When I say it’s creamy I mean it’s really truly very creamy.
It contains no milk or cheese which you’ll find in traditional potato soup. This means it’s Whole30 compliant. Plus it’s just plain proof that you can absolutely enjoy satisfying soups without relying on dairy.
You’ll want to peel and dice your potatoes into approximately 1 inch cubes. Then boil them in chicken stock. This will form the base of our soup.
While the potatoes are softening saute half a diced onion (yellow or white) in the cooking fat of your choice. If you’re not going for dairy free use ghee (it’s Whole30 approved). For a completely dairy free recipe stick with olive oil or coconut oil.
After the potatoes have softened you’ll set aside 1 cup of them and pour the rest of the potatoes, the chicken stock, and the sauteed onions into a blender. Add the full fat canned coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
Pour the soup back into your pot along with the 1 cup diced tomatoes you set aside. Add salt, pepper, and dried thyme or dried chives (both work great so whichever you have on hand is fine). Stir. Heat on medium for 5 minutes just to make sure everything is thoroughly heated.
Ladle big spoonfuls into bowls and top with fresh chopped chives and bacon.
I don’t eat pork so I prefer turkey bacon for mine. Want to get your turkey bacon crispy but annoyed that it’s usually a bit chewy? I cook mine on the stove top until it’s cooked through. Remove from heat and pat it dry. Add a bit of oil to the pan and turn the heat up. Put the bacon back in and give it a quick shallow fry. Flip. Voila! Crispy turkey bacon!
Now who is ready for some 30 Minute Dairy Free Loaded Potato Soup?
- 2.5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken broth
- ½ white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon cooking fat of choice (ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme or dried chives
- Toppings: fresh chopped chives and crispy bacon
- Add chicken stock and potatoes (peeled and dice into 1 inch cubes) to a soup pot. Bring to boiling and cook for approximately 8 - 10 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Once cooked, remove 1 cup of the diced potatoes from chicken stock. Set aside.
- Saute diced onion in cooking fat of choice until tender. (For a bit of dairy use ghee. For dairy free use coconut oil or olive oil.)
- Blend the diced potatoes (excluding the 1 cup you set aside), sauteed onion, chicken stock, and 1 cup canned coconut milk until smooth. Pour back into pot.
- Add the 1 cup diced potatoes you'd set aside earlier, salt, pepper, and dried thyme (or dried chives). Stir. Heat on medium for 5 minutes until heated.
- Ladle the finished soup into bowls and top with fresh chopped chives and crispy bacon.
Make this? If you share it on Instagram I’d love to see it! Just tag me and I’ll check it out!
In the mood for more healthy comfort food? I bet you’ll love my No Bean 30 Minute Chili.