This one is for all the breakfast casserole lovers. Myself included. What’s not to love about a hearty eggy meal packed with sweet potatoes and asparagus? Answer: You should love everything about it. Plus, let’s be honest, you can eat this casserole any time of day. Who says breakfast casseroles are only for breakfast? People who don’t know better, that’s who.
Now on to this Turkey & Asparagus Breakfast casserole.
Look at that layer of sweet potato. Yum. They bring a hint of sweetness to this dish and make it even more filling.
No dairy needed for this one. Plus it’s Whole30 and gluten free! So you can enjoy it in the morning and know that you’ve set yourself up for an awesome day of food choices that reinforce your healthy lifestyle.
It bakes up thick. Since we’re big on breakfast around here I cut mine into 4 very large slices. If you’re serving this along with fruit or veggies you might prefer to cut yours into 6 medium sized slices.
Want more yummy tasting and good for you breakfast casseroles? My Whole30 + Paleo Mexican Breakfast Casserole is a favorite with readers and includes shredded potatoes. My Dairy Free Taco Breakfast Casserole doesn’t contain potatoes but it does include plenty of salsa. Can we agree that salsa belongs in or on basically everything? I think we can.
But today it’s all about this Turkey & Asparagus Breakfast Casserole.
Turkey & Asparagus Breakfast CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 sweet potato small or medium
- 5 stalks asparagus
- 9 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 baking dish. (I grease mine with olive oil and it works perfectly.)
- Brown and crumble your ground turkey in a skillet on medium high heat.
- After it's browned add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1 teaspoon dried basil. Stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Peel your sweet potato. Slice it into thirds and then into thin pieces (approximately 1/4 inch in thickness). They need to be thin so they'll get tender quickly in the oven. Lay them in a single layer in your greased baking dish.
- Add your browned turkey in a single layer on top of the sweet potato slices.
- Trim bottom of asparagus and discard. Cut remaining asparagus in half and lay in a single layer on top of your turkey.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.
- Pour your egg mixture over your asparagus.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes. Center should not be wiggly when finished. (My oven leans toward 50 minutes for this particular breakfast casserole.)
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Slice and serve as is. Of course you can always top it with fresh herbs, green onions, hot sauce, or a drizzle of Easy Dairy Free Ranch Dressing.
Made this and sharing it on Instagram? Tag me so I can come check it out!
Interest in another delicious breakfast idea? This Whole30 + Paleo Mexican Breakfast Casserole is one of my most popular recipes!