Vickey’s Party Mix
We make this party mix recipe all December long and keep it on the counter for quick holiday snacking! It’s the perfect party snack and yummy for game day munching too.
Update: This recipe was originally published in 2021 and has been republished with all new photos.
I hit the mother in-law jackpot. If you know me then you’ve known this for a while. I love Vickey so much. She’s been so good to me and to my kids and we always look forward to her visits. She’s one of those grandmothers who is happy to play any game at any time. And when the kids are in school she’s basically my playmate! She’s up for anything and we have such a good time running errands together, playing with recipes, or chatting over coffee.
The recipe I’m sharing today is one ya’ll have been clamoring for since I first showed it to you last December. This is my mother in-law’s chex mix recipe (even though we use Crispix) and, friend, it’s a Christmas season must. I always have it available for holiday gatherings but you truly don’t need a special occasion to whip up a batch. Set this salty snack mix out in a large bowl anytime you’re entertaining.
This version has just a smidge more worcestershire sauce and butter than Vickey’s original recipe. David’s a big flavor guy so this is how we’ve discovered over the years that we like it best. This is one of his all time favorite snacks and we like it so much we make 5 or 6 huge batches during the month of December! I keep it in festive Christmas tins on the counter so it’s always available and everyone grabs it by the handful. It wouldn’t be the holiday season in my home without this addictively delicious mix.
Each bite is the perfect balance of crunch and salty, savory flavor. All the good stuff!
Plus this is such a simple recipe. You’ll just toss the ingredients, pour a flavorful butter mixture on top, and bake!
I hope you’ll make this part of your Christmas tradition. It’s one of our favorite things about the holidays in my family. Whether it’s your first time or your hundredth time making it, if you share a photo on instagram do send it my way so I can send it to Vickey. She gets so tickled when others try it. And a big thank you to her for allowing me to share this deliciousness here.
Vickey’s Party Mix Ingredients
- Crispix: Crispix is perfectly crispy and has such a mild flavor that it’s the best cereal choice for this party mix. You can sub Chex if you prefer. Scroll down for my thoughts on which to use.
- Pretzels: Pretzel sticks or mini pretzels are perfect in this party mix. Just break them in half before adding to the sheet pan.
- Nuts: Any salted nuts will work. Peanuts or cashews are my favorite options. We use cashews personally because of my son’s peanut allergy.
- Butter, ghee, or vegan butter: I use salted butter in this recipe but you can use unsalted butter if that’s what you have. Ghee or a vegan butter are also great options.
- Worcestershire sauce: Worcestershire sauce is a super flavorful sauce that seems to find its way into everybody’s kitchen. It’s a key component to this party mix and should not be skipped.
- Garlic salt + Salt: Yes, we’re using both garlic salt and salt. Yes, they’re both necessary.
How to Make Vickey’s Party Mix
Spread Crispix and nuts on a large baking sheet. Break the pretzels in half and add them to the baking sheet too.
Microwave butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and salt into the melted butter.
Pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture. Use a spatula to stir so everything is thoroughly seasoned.
Then spread in a single layer and bake for 45 minutes. We’re cooking at a low temperature and stirring every 15 minutes to prevent burning. Let the party mix sit for a bit before storing or serving.
Can you use Chex cereal instead of Crispix?
Let’s address the elephant in the room. Lots of people call this a homemade Chex mix recipe (and I often do when I’m just talking about it) but we actually use and recommend Crispix. Sometimes Crispix can be hard to find in the grocery store over the holidays so don’t hesitate to use Chex if that’s what is available for you. If you prefer you could swap a mix of different kinds of Chex. 2 cups each of wheat, bran, corn, and rice Chex is a great substitute.
What nuts are best to use?
Any salted nuts will work! Vickey often uses peanuts but I prefer cashews (my son has a peanut allergy). Either option is delicious! You could even use a mix of different kinds if you like.
What pretzels are best to use?
I prefer pretzel sticks because they’re easy to break in half before baking and I like the overall look of them in the finished snack mix. If I can’t find them I use mini pretzels. You’ll be happy with either!
Can this be dairy free and vegan?
Yes, just be sure to use a vegan butter like Earth Balance Organic Whipped Buttery Spread (my favorite) and a vegan worcestershire sauce (here’s a list that will help with that).
Can this be gluten free?
Crispix contains gluten and so does Wheat Chex but you can use 4 cups of Rice Chex and 4 cups of Corn Chex to keep this party mix gluten free.
Several brands of worcestershire sauce are gluten free including French’s Worcestershire Sauce and Lea & Perrin’s Worcestershire Sauce (in the US). Look for gluten free on the label to be sure you purchase one that works for your diet.
How to store this party mix
Store this perfect snack in an airtight container on the countertop. It should be kept at room temperature. I like to keep it the large festive tins you find everywhere during the holidays for cookies. They’re so fun and perfect for this!
Vickey’s Party Mix
- 8 cups Crispix, can use 2 cups each of wheat, bran, corn, and rice Chex if you prefer
- 2 cups pretzels, I prefer pretzel sticks but you can use mini pretzels too
- 1 cup nuts, salted, any kind
- 8 tablespoons butter, ghee, or vegan butter
- 5 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Spread Crispix and nuts on a large baking sheet in a single layer.
- Break pretzels in half. Add to the baking sheet.
- Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir in worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and salt. Pour over your party mix on the baking sheet. Use a spatula to stir everything together so it's all seasoned. Then spread the party mix into a layer on the baking sheet. (This helps it cook evenly.)
- Bake for 45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes while baking.
- Once you remove from the oven give it a good stir to be sure everything is getting seasoned. Then spread it back out. Let it sit for 10 minutes to cool before storing in an airtight container.