Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
These aren’t your ordinary pancakes. There’s a time and place for those. This is not that time and this is not that place.
These yummy pancakes include the tartness of lemons and the sweetness of blueberries. Oh yes, yes, and more yes.
Lemons remind me of warm weather. They take me back to the sticky sweetness of lemonade and summers playing in the pool as a kid. They were refreshing then and they’re refreshing now as an adult.
So why not add them to pancakes? Doesn’t everybody love a good pancake? It has the word cake in it for crying out loud.
Pancakes in general are the ultimate breakfast food when you have young children.
They can be portable. My toddler carries them around in her chubby little hands and snacks while she plays. She doesn’t need syrup or anything else. She’s happy just to enjoy them in their simplest form.
They can be topped any number of ways which is always fun for my son. He loves trying different combinations of toppings and I love that experimenting with them guarantees he’ll eat every last one. Has anyone seen the Huggabunch? It’s an 80’s movie. I watched it no less than one hundred times as a child. My favorite scene was always the one where the little girl layers her pancakes with peanut butter, bacon, and a ton of other things before topping it off with syrup. It looked like a dream breakfast as a kid! I still think about it when I watch my son select how he’d like to decorate his pancakes!
Okay, we’ve established that kids love pancakes. Pancakes are also a winner for adults. They’re hearty and filling which satisfies my husband who likes a big breakfast on the weekends. For me, I enjoy pancakes because they’re so easy to prepare. I can wow my family without creating a giant pile of dirty dishes. Score!
To recap, kids love pancakes. Adults love pancakes. Now let’s make them special by introducing the amazing flavors of lemon and blueberries!
Break out your nonstick pan and prepare this delicious dish for your family. If you do please let me know how it goes. I can’t wait to hear!
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 beaten egg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp butter for cooking, optional
- 1 cup blueberries, halved
- Powdered sugar, (additional) lemon zest, and/or syrup for your topping
- Combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Stir in your vanilla, milk, lemon juice, and beaten egg. Add the zest of 1 lemon.
- I use a dollop of butter in the nonstick pan for cooking. For each pancake pour about a 1/4 cup or less (depending on if you like smaller pancakes) onto a hot skillet or griddle. Add a few of your halved blueberries with the flesh side down, skin side up. You do not need to cut your blueberries if you don't want to. This is a matter of preference. For me personally, I don't like giant blueberries to overpower my pancakes.
- Cook each side on Medium Low to Medium heat until your pancakes are a light golden brown.This typically takes approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and place on a plate. I like mine topped with powdered sugar and more lemon zest. My son prefers syrup. Do whichever your family enjoys most!