Let’s talk breakfast. I swear I wake up thinking about food. Okay, that happens only after I’ve had my coffee. There’s minimal thinking about anything before coffee. But post coffee I’m totally thinking about food.
This Mexican Breakfast Casserole is a totally guilt free and filling way to start the day.
It’s hearty because I’ve loaded it with shredded hash brown potatoes. This produces a very thick casserole so you’ll definitely wow your family or guests when they get a slice. (Seriously, I took a ruler to it and it’s over 1 1/2 inches thick.)
If you’re not shredding your own potatoes and prefer to get a bag of frozen shredded hash browns from the grocery store make sure you check that ingredient list! (You just want potatoes. Period.)
This casserole is full of yummy flavors that are synonymous with great Mexican food. I could live on Mexican food alone, couldn’t you?
It’s dairy free so you can enjoy this even while you’re on Whole30 or avoiding dairy.
And of course you can really eat it any time of day! No point in denying yourself this goodness just because it’s not breakfast.
Made this and love it? If you share a photo of your masterpiece on Instagram I’d love to see it! Just tag me and I’ll come check it out!
I have another breakfast casserole that’s faster to make because it has minimal prep. It’s earning rave reviews and it’s also Whole30 compliant. Also it’s made with salsa. What’s not to love about that, right? If that sounds like your cup of tea go check out my Dairy Free Taco Breakfast Casserole.
Whole 30 + Paleo Mexican Breakfast CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 15 oz shredded potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 9 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup green onion diced (green part only)
- 1 medium tomato diced
Easy Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
Optional Toppings: salsa, guacamole, fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish. (I grease mine with olive oil.)
- Brown and crumble your ground beef in a skillet on medium high heat. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Throw your chopped green pepper, red pepper, and onion into the same skillet (with the beef now removed). If you used a particularly lean beef you may have to add a little ghee or olive oil. I typically don't need to as I find the bit of grease left in the pan is enough. Saute until tender, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and stir in with your beef.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the hot skillet. Add your shredded potatoes and spread evenly. Cook 5 minutes. Carefully turn the potatoes. Cook another 5 minutes. They should have some browning and be softened.
- Spread your potatoes evenly over the bottom of your greased baking dish. Top with the beef, green peppers, red peppers, and onion.
- In a large bowl whisk your eggs, water, and Easy Taco Seasoning. Pour the egg mixture over your beef, peppers, and onions in the baking dish.
- Top with green onion and tomato.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Slice and serve topped with guacamole, salsa, a drizzle of ranch dressing, jalapenos, cilantro, and/or hot sauce. Pile it high and make this breakfast a feast!
You can use store bought shredded hashbrown potatoes if you prefer (instead of shredding your own). If you're on Whole30 you'll want to carefully check the ingredients though. It's challenging to find one with only potatoes.