Broccoli Potato Cakes
These Broccoli Potato Cakes are a fun and healthy side dish. You get all the crunch you love in hash browns made from shredded potatoes plus the added bonus of some good for you broccoli!
Plus, unlike traditional potato latkes, these include no flour or baking powder. Just the good stuff, friends. These are gluten free, dairy free, and Whole30 compliant!
You can serve them as a side, appetizer, or snack. I like to dip them in ranch dressing. If you’re looking for a dairy free version I recommend my Easy Ranch Dressing. It’s easy to whip up and so tasty!
A few tips for you:
Chopped broccoli can be a bit too big. These cakes cook fast so your broccoli needs to be small in order to cook quickly too. I find that popping the broccoli in the blender gets it the perfect texture!
You want to make these cakes small so they can get nice and crispy. If they’re too large they’ll cook unevenly because the inside won’t get enough heat on it. I use a cookie scoop to place them in the pan. It’s maybe a little larger than a tablespoon. Then I take a fork or spoon and press each cake flat. Once smashed each cake is around 2 inches in diameter.
I shred my potatoes myself using the large holes in my cheese grater. It’s really easy to do! You can definitely use a store bought bag of shredded hash brown potatoes. Just check the ingredient list. You only want potatoes.
That’s all you need to know. I hope you enjoy this fun dish as much as we do!
Broccoli Potato Cakes
- 12 oz fresh broccoli
- 2 cups shredded potatoes
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chile pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp cooking fat of choice, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil, etc
- Add your broccoli to a blender and give it a quick blend. You want your broccoli to be nice and small so you won't have any big chunks in the potato cakes.
- Add broccoli to a large bowl with shredded potatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, chipotle chile pepper, and eggs. Stir together until well combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking fat of choice over medium high heat. Use a small cookie scoop to drop your broccoli potato cake mixture into the hot pan. Press down on each cake with a fork or spoon to flatten them. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat above step until all cakes are cooked. (Add an additional tablespoon of cooking fat if needed as you cook.)
- Serve immediately! I like to pair them with Dairy Free Ranch Dressing & Dip!