Eliminating dairy and worried about what this means for your love of chocolate chip cookies? I got you. These Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy and oh so very good. I guarantee nobody will notice they’re dairy free.
I love a really good chocolate chip cookie. I basically dedicate the month of December to baking (don’t judge me) and end up with tins full of yummy treats that we munch on while we’re in the midst of all the holiday stuff.
When we learned that my husband couldn’t have dairy anymore I needed to create a dairy free version of our favorite cookie recipe. Thankfully he married the right person. If you’ve been here a while you already know this.
Oh, friend. These cookies do not disappoint. I’ve made them several times this holiday season and fed them to countless dairy loving people. Not a single person has noticed the lack of butter or milk. I mean it. You truly can’t tell.
Take a bite and and you’ll notice how soft they are. You’ll notice that rich chocolate. You’ll definitely notice that you want to eat the entire baking sheet full of cookies.
These cookies are absolute cookie perfection. Whether you love dairy or not.
So how do I make them dairy free? Instead of shortening or butter I use a combination of coconut oil and a vegan butter. My go to brand is Earth Balance. Their vegan buttery sticks are awesome for baking. (Not sponsored. I’m just telling you what I use.) Mine come from Whole Foods but I suspect most natural food stores will carry them.
For the chocolate I really love the Simply Delicious Semi-Sweet Morsels from Nestle Tollhouse. They’re made with only 3 ingredients: organic chocolate, organic cocoa butter, and organic cane sugar. My Walmart even carries them! Of course there are other great dairy free chocolate chip options on the market as well.
I can’t wait to hear how much you love these! If you make them and share a photo of your cookies on Instagram tag me so I can check them out!
Dairy Free Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup vegan butter I recommend Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 12 oz dairy free semi-sweet morsels Can use dark chocolate chips or chunks if you prefer.
Optional: Extra 1/2 cup dairy free semi-sweet morsels to add to the top of each cookie after baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl beat vegan butter and coconut oil on medium for 30 seconds.
- Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, and baking soda. Beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly beat in flour until all combined.
- Stir in 12 oz of chocolate chips.
- Spoon dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. I prefer smaller cookies so I use a small scoop but it's all a matter of preference.
- Bake for 7 1/2 - 8 minutes. (If you're doing larger cookies you may require a little extra time.) Optional: As soon as you remove the sheet from the oven add a few chocolate chips to the top of each cookie. The cookies will be very soft so you can easily press the chips into the top. This ensures that every cookie looks every bit as chocolatey as it is!
- Place cookies on a wire rack to cool.