Apples are such a Fall flavor to me. How about you? Of course we eat them year round but they just seem extra special this time of year. Is it because we associate apples with teacher gifts? These days I don’t bring apples to my son’s teacher though. I do coffee. I’m betting she prefers that extra boost of caffeine. Is it because it’s time for apple picking? I really need to find a farm so we can do that. Whatever the reason I’ve been thinking a lot about apples and knew we needed a dish to honor them.
So let’s talk about these Simply Roasted Apples & Potatoes.
If you’ve never roasted apples before you’re in for a treat. Roasting brings out their natural sweetness. All the sticky juice drips onto the potatoes. It mingles with the bit of salt and the final result is just heavenly.
Everything caramelizes beautifully.
Do you see all that gorgeous browning?
The apples get so soft in the oven. Since they stay in the skin they’re like little bowls of savory apple sauce.
The rosemary adds another layer of flavor. It’s a total surprise against the apples.
Seriously if you’re not doing this already you want to rethink that. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Simply Roasted Apples & PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 5 medium apples I prefer gala but others work as well
- 5 medium gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat of choice olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice your apples in half and remove the core and seeds.
- Slice your potatoes in half. Slice again so each potato is in four pieces. If your potato was fairly large you may need to cut some of them one more time. You want your potato pieces to be about half the size of your apple slices.
- Spread your apples and potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with cooking fat of choice. Move your potatoes and apples around to get them all coated. Then spread them out again and make sure your apples are flesh side down.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. (At the 20 minute mark check to see if your potatoes are done. They should give a little when you press them.)
- Remove from the oven. Very gently flip your apples so the flesh side is up. They will be extremely soft. Sprinkle chopped rosemary over potatoes and apples. Serve!
Made it? If you share it on Instagram tag me and I’ll come check it out! I love to share everyone’s results in my Instastories!
Want more roasted side dishes? You’ll enjoy my Roasted Balsamic Tomatoes & Asparagus, Smashed & Roasted Rosemary Garlic Potatoes, Roasted Red Cabbage, Roasted Parsley Carrots, and Roasted Brussels Sprouts.