Let’s talk breakfast. I swear I wake up thinking about food. Okay, that happens only after I’ve had my coffee. There’s minimal thinking about anything before coffee. But post coffee I’m totally thinking about food. Eggs, pastries (especially orange rolls)… I love it all. Today I’m sharing a filling breakfast that’s healthy and tasty.
So let’s talk about this Mexican Breakfast Casserole.
It’s hearty because I’ve loaded it with hash brown potatoes.
It’s full of fun flavors that are synonymous with great Mexican food. I could live on Mexican food alone, couldn’t you?
It’s dairy free so you can enjoy this even while you’re on Whole 30. (And if you’re not on Whole 30 totally feel free to toss some cheese in there. I won’t judge.)
And finally, you can put this all together ahead of time and then bake it when you’re ready. That’s one of the best things about a breakfast casserole, right? Get it ready the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. I don’t know how I’d do Christmas mornings without that little time saver.
So if you’re looking for a new healthy breakfast I recommend you give this a try. It can serve up to 12 so there’s plenty to share.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ghee (or a little olive oil if you're going completely dairy free)
- 30 oz bag shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup green onion, diced (green part only)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. (I grease mine with olive oil but use what you prefer.)
- In a skillet brown and crumble your ground beef on medium high heat. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using the same skillet (with the beef now removed) add your ghee and chopped green pepper, red pepper, and onion. Saute until tender, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and add to beef.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the hot skillet. Add your shredded hash browns and spread evenly. Cook 5-7 minutes. Turn the hash browns. Cook another 5 minutes. They should have some browning and be softened.
- Spread your hash browns evenly over the bottom of your greased baking dish. Top with the beef, green peppers, red peppers, and onion.
- In a large bowl whisk your eggs, water, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over your beef, peppers, and onions in the baking dish.
- Top with green onion and tomato.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Slice and serve topped with guacamole, salsa, a drizzle of ranch dressing, jalapenos, cilantro, and/or hot sauce.