Dairy Free Chicken Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This Dairy Free Chicken Sausage Breakfast Casserole is absolutely delicious. Make it when you’re feeding a crowd or want to meal prep for the week!
To start you’ll sauté onion and chicken sausage. While that’s happening whisk together eggs, salsa, and seasonings. (I absolutely love adding salsa to eggs. It’s an especially tasty cooking hack for breakfast casseroles and frittata because the salsa adds so much flavor but you won’t even see it in the finished product.)
Now it’s time to fill the baking dish. Grease a 9×13 dish. Spread riced sweet potato on the bottom in an even layer. You can find that in the frozen breakfast section of the grocery store and the only ingredient should be sweet potatoes. Top with baby spinach along with the sautéed chicken sausage and onion. Pour your egg mixture in the oven. You’re ready for the oven!
What if I can’t find riced sweet potato at my grocery store?
Not a problem. You can rice or shred your own very easily. Or feel free to snag a bag of frozen shredded hash brown potatoes at the grocery store and use that. These solutions will all give you that yummy bottom layer.
Can I use a different kind of sausage?
Go for it. I use Applegate Chicken Sausage because I love their ingredient list but use what you prefer. Yes, you can even use a beef or pork sausage.
I have other tasty breakfast casseroles you may enjoy. All are dairy free, gluten free, and Whole30 compliant. Check out my BLT Breakfast Casserole and Taco Breakfast Casserole. If you’re wanting something that’s better suited for being on the go give my Turkey Pizza Egg Muffins and Salsa Chicken Egg Muffins a try.
Dairy Free Chicken Sausage Casserole
- 1 tbsp cooking fat of choice
- 4 chicken sausages, cut into circles
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 12 eggs
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2.5 oz baby spinach
- 10 oz riced sweet potato, I use a bag of frozen riced sweet potato. You can use shredded sweet potato or shredded hash brown potatoes. Thawed works too.
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp olive oil, This is for greasing the inside of the baking dish. You can use coconut oil if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add 1 tbsp cooking fat of choice to skillet on medium high heat. Add diced onion and chicken sausage. Sauté until onion is tender and sausage has some browning.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking dish with olive oil.
- Spread your riced sweet potato in the bottom of your greased baking dish. (Mine is still frozen when I do this but I break it up so that it spreads evenly.) Top with fresh baby spinach and your sautéed onion and chicken sausage.
- Whisk eggs, salsa, salt, and pepper together until well combined. Pour the egg mixture over everything in the baking dish.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until egg mixture is set in the center. (45 minutes is the perfect baking time for my oven.) Let casserole sit for a few minutes before slicing.
4 Comments on “Dairy Free Chicken Sausage Breakfast Casserole”
Are you using breakfast sausage or just regular chicken sausage?
How long can I stored it in the fridge?
Looking to make this for the upcoming week as my “on-the-go” breakfast.
So good! Really fast and easy to make. Very delish 🙂
We made this last night and it was ridiculously good!! I used Al Fresco Jalapeño chicken sausage and it was a slam dunk! Love your recipes!