This summer my family went on our annual beach trip with my parents, my sister and her family, my in-laws, and my sister in-law and her family. I know to some people that sounds a little crazy but it’s the absolute best! We all live far apart so we look forward to this time together all year.
We divide up the meals ahead of time so we can plan how we’ll each contribute. When it was my turn for breakfast I made a traditional breakfast casserole. To make it special I added salsa to the egg mixture. It was a hit! Since then I’ve been thinking about how to further modify the recipe to exclude bread, cheese, and milk (which I used in the original recipe because, y’all, it was vacation).
Finally I’ve done it.
This Dairy Free Breakfast Casserole is so simple and so tasty.
Of course the best part might just be how easy it is!
You can make it the night before you have company, refrigerate overnight, and bake the next morning. Or just do it all in the morning! Either way you’ll have a yummy guilt-free crowd pleaser.
I guarantee you this will be on the menu when we have family visiting and especially on Christmas morning. Don’t you love a breakfast casserole when you’re celebrating the holidays? I know I do.
The prep is as simple as browning ground beef with diced onion and taco seasoning. The eggs get whisked together with salsa. Then everything goes in a lightly greased baking dish.
For this recipe I used my 8 x 9 baking dish. The finished casserole was a little over 2 inches thick so it was hearty and produced 9 very good sized slices. You can also use an 8 x 8 baking dish to achieve slightly thicker slices. I wouldn’t go any larger than an 8 x 9 though.
After baking top it with salsa, guacamole, or hot sauce. Or don’t. And that’s it!
I can’t wait to hear how much your family enjoys it too.
Dairy Free Taco Breakfast CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground beef I use 93/7
- 1/2 onion diced
- 10 eggs
- 3/4 cup salsa of your choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Easy Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ground beef and diced onion to a pan on medium high heat. Once beef is browned remove from heat. Add the taco seasoning and stir until combined.
- Crack your eggs into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together. Add your salsa, salt, and pepper. Whisk again.
- Lightly grease your baking dish (I use a little olive oil for this).
- Evenly spread your cooked beef and onion on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour your egg and salsa mixture over the beef.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or it until it is set and doesn't wiggle in the center.
I use and recommend an 8x8 or 8x9 baking dish for this particular breakfast casserole.Feel free to substitute ground turkey for the beef if you prefer.
Made this? If you share it on Instagram I’d love to see it! Just tag me and I’ll come check it out!