Dairy Free Taco Breakfast Casserole
This Dairy Free Taco Breakfast Casserole is a lightened up version of a traditional breakfast casserole. It’s so easy and flavorful!
My family takes an annual beach trip with my parents, my sister and her family, my in-laws, and my sister in-law and her family. I know to some people that sounds a little crazy because it’s quite a crowd but it’s the absolute best! We all live far apart so we look forward to this time together all year.
We divide up the meals ahead of time so we can plan how we’ll each contribute. When it’s my turn for breakfast I make a traditional breakfast casserole. This Dairy Free Taco Breakfast Casserole is so simple and so tasty.
Of course the best part might just be how easy it is! You can make it the night before you have company, refrigerate overnight, and bake the next morning. Or just do it all in the morning! Either way you’ll have a yummy guilt-free crowd pleaser.
I guarantee you this will be on the menu when we have family visiting and especially on Christmas morning. Don’t you love a breakfast casserole when you’re celebrating the holidays? I know I do.
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Lean ground beef or turkey
- White or yellow onion
The prep is as simple as browning ground beef or turkey with onion and taco seasoning. The eggs get whisked together with salsa. Then everything goes in a lightly greased baking dish.
Can you add cheese?
Absolutely! I’ve designed this breakfast casserole to be loaded with flavor without any dairy at all, but you can totally add cheese if you like! I’d recommend 3/4 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella. Add it to the baking dish after your meat and onion but before you pour the egg mixture in.
What salsa works best?
You’re welcome to use whatever store-bought salsa you like. If you want some heat, go with a spicier salsa! Looking to keep things mild? Use a mild salsa!
What size baking dish should you use?
I recommend an 8 x 8 or 8 x 9 baking dish for this casserole. The finished casserole will be a little over 2 inches thick so it’s hearty and you’ll get 9 very good sized slices.
Can you make this in advance?
Yes! You can make it the night before, refrigerate overnight covered with a lid or foil, and bake the next morning (without the lid or foil).
How to serve this breakfast casserole
When serving, top each slice with salsa, guacamole, hot sauce, and/or cilantro.
More breakfast recipes like this:
Dairy Free Taco Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
- 10 eggs
- 3/4 cup salsa of your choice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil , to grease baking dish, can use a different oil
Easy Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ground beef or turkey and diced onion to a pan on medium high heat. (If using a lean turkey you'll want to also add 1/2 tbsp olive oil to the pan since ground turkey has so little fat.) Once the meat is browned, add the taco seasoning ingredients and stir until combined.
- Crack your eggs into a large mixing bowl. Whisk with salsa, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 or 8 x 9 baking dish with oil.
- Evenly spread your cooked beef and onion on the bottom of the baking dish. Pour your egg and salsa mixture over the beef.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or it until eggs are set and casserole doesn't wiggle in the center. Let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- When serving, top each slice with salsa, guacamole, hot sauce, and/or cilantro.