Baked Parmesan Chicken Meatballs
These baked meatballs are made with ground chicken and flavored with plenty of grated parmesan. This delicious recipe can be enjoyed as an entree with pasta or roasted veggies. Of course these meatballs are also perfect as an appetizer. Simply serve with your favorite marinara sauce!
My love affair with ground chicken continues.
These Baked Parmesan Chicken Meatballs are flavorful and perfect as an entree or appetizer.
Since I’ve never met a meatball I didn’t like, I knew these had to be large meatballs. My kids love when I top pasta with these but they are also a great size to serve beside roasted vegetables if you’re wanting a lighter (and still incredibly delicious) option.
Because I like to keep things simple, you’ll need no food processor for this recipe. All the ingredients are stirred together in one bowl. Plus we’re cooking these meatballs in the oven to make them just a bit healthier.
Baked Parmesan Chicken Meatball Ingredients
- Ground chicken: I use ground chicken and not ground chicken breast for these meatballs. While I do enjoy ground chicken breast in stir fries, I’ve tested these meatballs with it and the finished meatballs are just too dry. Stick with ground chicken which will contain a mix of both white and dark meat.
- Fresh parsley: Fresh parsley adds so much bright flavor. It also helps lighten up the finished texture!
- Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs absorb the juices of the ground chicken as the meatballs cook, trapping them inside so you don’t end up with dry results. You’re welcome to use plain breadcrumbs, Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, or a gluten free variety.
- Grated parmesan cheese: Parmesan cheese adds a salty, rich flavor that is just perfect in these meatballs.
- Egg: The egg helps bind our meatballs together.
- Olive oil: Since ground chicken is so lean, we’re adding a little olive oil for some extra fat. This results in juicier meatballs.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder make these meatballs extra tasty!
Ground Chicken vs Ground Chicken Breasts
Some grocery stores sell both ground chicken and ground chicken breast. Ground chicken is made up of both white and dark meat. It’s usually somewhere between 97% and 99% lean so it’s a fantastic healthy protein option. Ground chicken breast is made from grinding only the chicken breast.
Ground chicken breast has so little fat that it can be dry in meatballs or burgers. If you’re crumbling the chicken in a stir fry you can use either. For this recipe, stick with ground chicken and not ground chicken breast.
Can you use a different ground meat?
Yes, you can use a lean ground turkey, beef, or pork.
How to Store Leftover Meatballs
Leftover meatballs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or add to a skillet on the stovetop, simmering with your favorite jarred marinara sauce until heated through.
Can you Freeze Chicken Meatballs?
Yes! Simply spread the meatballs (cooked or uncooked) on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer. This helps keep the meatballs from sticking together. Once frozen, transfer the meatballs to a freezer safe container. I like to use a ziplock freezer bag for this. The meatballs can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the frozen meatballs, add them to a skillet (thaw the meatballs first IF you froze them prior to cooking) with your favorite jarred marinara sauce. Simmer until meatballs are warmed through.
How to Serve Baked Parmesan Chicken Meatballs
To serve as an entree, heat your favorite jarred marinara sauce in a skillet on the stovetop. Add the meatballs to the skillet and serve over pasta. For a lighter option, serve with marinara sauce and plate with a simple side salad or a green side. My Garlic Green Beans and Spicy Roasted Broccoli are delicious options.
To serve as an appetizer, enjoy with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.
Baked Parmesan Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12" x 17" baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Use your hands to gently roll into 12 large meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Leave space in between each meatball.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- To serve as an entree, heat your favorite jarred marinara sauce in a skillet on the stovetop. Add the meatballs to the skillet and serve over pasta. For a lighter option, serve with marinara sauce and plate with a simple side salad or a green side. My Garlic Green Beans and Spicy Roasted Broccoli are delicious options.To serve as an appetizer, enjoy with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.