Ground Chicken Taco Meat
This delicious ground chicken taco meat is perfect for tacos, rice bowls, quesadillas, nachos, or just served with roasted veggies. It’s easy to make too!
I make tacos at least once in a week in my house. I love to switch up my proteins and often use shredded chicken or ground turkey but lately I’ve really been enjoying cooking with ground chicken.
Ground chicken is almost flavorless. It has a light taste and easily absorbs whatever flavors you introduce to it. This makes it a great lean option for so many entrees! To make taco meat with ground chicken we’re just adding some seasonings, tomato paste, and a little water. Doesn’t get much easier than that.
Then load the meat into tacos and add your favorite toppings. I also love this ground chicken recipe for burritos, nachos, quesadillas, or just paired with roasted veggies.
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Ground chicken
- Tomato paste
Ground Chicken vs Ground Chicken Breast
Some grocery stores sell both ground chicken and ground chicken breast. Ground chicken is made up of both white and dark meat. It’s usually somewhere between 97% and 99% lean so it’s a fantastic healthy protein option. Ground chicken breast is made from grinding only the chicken breast.
So which should you choose? If you’re making burgers or meatballs I strongly recommend sticking with ground chicken. Ground chicken breast has so little fat that it can be dry in dishes like this. If you’re crumbling the chicken like we are in this recipe you can use either. In my experience there’s very little difference in the final texture if you’re preparing it this way.
How does ground chicken compare to ground beef or turkey?
Ground chicken has less fat than ground beef and even less than ground turkey (although turkey is still a great lean option). I think ground chicken beats ground turkey when it comes to flavor though. Many people feel that ground turkey has a very pronounced flavor you have to work hard to cover up. Ground chicken has a mild taste and easily absorbs whatever flavors you introduce to it.
How to Serve Ground Chicken Taco Meat
- Tacos – Add this ground chicken to tortillas and top with your favorite taco toppings like lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, salsa, and guacamole.
- Rice Bowls – I love this over white rice or Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice. Then top with toppings like corn, black beans, salsa, cheese, and sour cream.
- Quesadillas – Fill your quesadilla with this taco meat, shredded cheese, and salsa.
- With Veggies – If you’re keeping things low carb and don’t want to make a rice bowl with cauliflower rice try serving this ground chicken with veggies like my Easy Roasted Broccoli.
Ground Chicken Taco Meat
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- Add ground chicken to a large skillet on the stovetop. Use a spatula to crumble the meat. (If it's sticking add a little oil.) Cook on medium or medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Season the cooked meat with oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, paprika, and black pepper. Add the tomato paste. Stir so the ground chicken is coated in the spices and tomato paste.
- Add the water to the skillet. Simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently, until liquid is mostly evaporated.
- Taste and add more salt or spices if desired. Optional: For a bit of spice add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes or a splash of hot sauce.