Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes
These Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes have a crispy outside with a soft center. They’re so garlicky and good you won’t want to stop devouring them!
Update: This recipe was originally published in 2017 and has been republished with all new photos.
I’m potato obsessed. I manage to work potatoes into my diet every single day. I do not discriminate. Give them to me any way and I’ll be happy.
Lately I’ve been playing around with a few variations on baked fries and I needed a break from the baked fries. It’s not you, baked fries. It’s me. It was on this little hiatus that I created these crispy, salty, garlicky bites of heaven. Also known as Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes.
Oh, dear friends. These babies are amazing. The first time I made them I would have eaten the entire pan myself (not an exaggeration) but my husband caught on to what was happening and stole a few handfuls.
They. Are. So. Dang. Good.
They are crispy on the outside from roasting at a very high temperature. They are soft on the inside from being quickly boiled prior to going in the oven. They are salty, garlicky, and buttery. They are incredible.
Make some. Good luck not gobbling them all up yourself.
For these delectable potatoes you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Olive oil
- Baby dutch yellow potatoes
- Ghee or butter
- Minced garlic
- Fresh rosemary
Are these potatoes Whole30?
Yes, just be sure to use ghee instead of regular butter if you want these to be Whole30 compliant.
Can these be made dairy free and vegan?
These potatoes can be dairy free if you use a vegan butter instead of ghee or regular butter. Earth Balance works well!
Is there a benefit to using ghee vs regular butter?
Both ghee and butter are completely delicious on these potatoes. Feel free to use either! (I personally love the richness of ghee so that’s always my preference.)
More potato side dishes like this:
Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1.5 lbs baby dutch yellow potatoes
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- sprig of fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to boiling and then add the potatoes. Allow them to boil for 5-8 minutes or until potatoes are a little soft to the touch.
- Oil your baking sheet with olive oil to prevent sticking and then spread your potatoes in an even layer on the baking sheet. You don’t want one on top of another or they won’t brown as well.
- Use a potato smasher or fork to gently press down on each potato so they are a bit flattened. A potato smasher does a better job because it evenly flattens the potato. You’ll have more potatoes fall apart if you use the fork but don’t sweat it. They’ll taste delicious anyway.
- Melt your ghee in a microwave safe dish or on the stove. Stir the garlic into the ghee. Pour your ghee/garlic mixture over the potatoes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place baking sheet of potatoes in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes. (25 minutes works best for my oven.) Potatoes should have some browning and be crispy on the outside.
- Chop your rosemary and sprinkle on your potatoes. (Dried rosemary will also work.)