I don’t know why I love making chicken wings so much but I really do. There are so many ways to make them interesting! Today I’m sharing a nontraditional flavor combo. No buffalo sauce happening here, folks! These Sticky Orange Balsamic Wings are instead very citrusy. They’re not overly sweet (the balsamic helps with that). They’re just plain good.
First you coat the chicken wings in an easy dry rub for maximum flavor. The dry rub I’m using here isn’t crazy spicy.
Next you pop the wings in the oven to bake (grilling also works great if the weather is nice). I like to use a baking rack on top of an aluminum foil covered baking sheet. This helps get some crispiness on the wings and it makes for easy clean up.
Once those wings are cooked through it’s time to slather on the sticky sauce. Oh yes. My favorite part.
This sauce uses just a few simple ingredients to achieve a really complex taste. Orange juice and orange zest give it some sweetness. Balsamic vinegar prevents that sweetness from getting out of hand and brings a big tangy punch of flavor.
While your wings are baking you’ll let the sauce simmer on the stove. It reduces until it’s nice and thick so it can cling beautifully to your chicken.
That’s it, friends! That wasn’t hard at all, was it?
Now get ready to start licking your fingers because it’s your turn to whip up these Sticky Orange Balsamic Wings.
Sticky Orange Balsamic WingsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 20 chicken wings including drumettes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
Orange Balsamic Sauce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Optional: additional orange zest for presentation
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss chicken in a large ziplock bag with dry rub ingredients. Seal. Shake so each wing is fully covered with the rub.
- Place wings on a wire rack over an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip wings. Bake for 15 additional minutes. Remove from oven when done.
- While wings are baking, add all Orange Balsamic Sauce ingredients to a pot and whisk until well combined. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low so that the sauce simmers. Allow it to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Keep on eye on it so it doesn't burn or reduce too much.) Sauce is ready when it has thickened, darkened in color, and reduced to around 1/4 cup.
- Pour finished sauce over wings. Top with additional orange zest (optional) and serve!
Made these and love them? If you share your finished dish on Instagram just tag me and I’ll come check them out!
Interested in a spicier wing recipe? I have some Chipotle Peach Baked Wings that really bring the heat!