Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
These chicken wings are baked until crispy and then tossed in a homemade buffalo sauce. You’ll love how easy these are!
My husband, my son, and my father are all obsessed with chicken wings. I grew up around them and they’re currently devoured fairly often in my home today. I’ve made plenty of variations but these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings are hands down their favorite.
These wings are truly crispy even though they’re made without any flour and we’re not frying them. The key to this is in baking them on an oven-safe rack (over a baking sheet) at a high temperature. When you pull them from the oven you’re going to be wowed by how crispy they get!
So now we’ve got crispy wings. How about we toss them in my Easy Buffalo Sauce? Only five ingredients required! I dare you to find a better sauce. I don’t think you can.
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Chicken wingettes
- A few seasonings
- Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce
- Ghee, butter, or vegan butter
- Apple cider vinegar
- Minced garlic
What kind of wings to use
Next time you’re in the grocery store grab a pack of chicken wings and a pack of chicken wingettes and hold them side by side. Chicken wings are quite large! So when you see chicken wings at a restaurant what you’re really getting is actually wingettes or split wings. They’re cut smaller and easier to eat so I prefer using those.
Are these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings Whole30 compliant?
Yes. Just be sure to use ghee instead of regular butter.
Are these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings dairy free?
Yes. Just use vegan butter instead of ghee or regular butter.
How to get wings crispy in the oven
Anyone who says baked wings can’t be crispy isn’t do it right! Here are the five simple things you need to do for that crispy skin.
- Pat your wings dry with a paper towel.
- Don’t add any sauce until the end.
- Spread the chicken wings on an oven safe wire rack over a baking sheet. I use the cooling rack that’s for cookies. Really. You don’t want your wings touching the bottom of the pan so this keeps them elevated.
- Bake at high heat. I do my wings at 450 degrees.
- Flip the wings at around the halfway point so both the top and the bottom get crispy.
More recipes like this:
Dairy Free Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken wingettes or split wings, 15 - 20 wings
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce
- 3 tbsp ghee, butter, or vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar, Can use rice vinegar.
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pat chicken wings dry with a paper towel. This is an important step to achieving crispy wings so don't skip it!
- Toss chicken in a large ziplock bag or sealed container with salt, chili powder, and garlic powder. Shake so each wing is fully covered with the seasonings.
- Place wings on a wire rack over an aluminum foil lined baking sheet so that the sides of the chicken don't touch. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip wings. Bake for 20 additional minutes. Remove from oven when done.
- While chicken is baking, add all Buffalo Sauce ingredients to a small pot on the stovetop. Stir on medium-low heat for a few minutes until sauce is warmed. (If you prefer not to cook your sauce you can just shake the ingredients together in a sealed jar or other container.)
- Toss the baked chicken wings in your finished Buffalo Sauce to evenly coat.
8 Comments on “Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings”
Wow! These are fantastic!
I am obsessed with all things buffalo-flavored!! These look super, super good, Christina!
Thank you so much, Julie! <3
Easy and so good. I’ll be making these a lot,
So happy to hear that!
This recipe is life changing!!! We just completed a W30 and it’s Super Bowl day. I risked it and made them at home and they are family approved! Delicious and BETTER than BWW!
Super Bowl Sunday 2022. We made this recipe and the barbecue wing recipe. Both get a high-five! Whoop.
Since the wings were so crispy out of the oven. I didn’t toss the sauce but instead let everyone use the sauce individually on their plate. Thank you!
Love that you sauced them individually! Thanks for taking the time to come back and comment/rate, Elle!