Oh get excited, friends! Today we’re chatting about everybody’s favorite appetizer and game day food. (Psst we eat these for dinner too.) Let me introduce you to my Oven Baked Buffalo Wings.
My husband, my son, and my father are all obsessed with chicken wings. I grew up around them and they’re currently devoured fairly often in my home today.
A few years ago I started making non-fried versions and did a lot of experimenting. I made some with diced onions, Worcestershire, and so much more. But in the end simple really is better so I nixed all that. The recipe I’m sharing today is where I have finally landed after all that trial and error. It’s delicious. And it all comes down to the sauce.
My sauce for these Oven Baked Buffalo Wings is really flavorful with a little heat.
You’ll just toss a few ingredients in a bowl, stir, and the sauce is ready to go!
I like to cook the chicken wings in a cast iron skillet because I can quickly brown them on the stove and then pop them in the oven without dirtying up another pan. (Always a plus.)
Once they’re in the oven I slather on my sauce and let the wings cook for 15 minutes. They come out, get another hearty slathering of sauce, and go back in the oven for 15 more minutes. Then they’re done! A little extra sauce (because why not) and these wings are ready to eat!
Made these yummy wings? If you share your photo on Instagram I’d love to see them! Just tag me and I’ll come check them out!
Oven Baked Buffalo WingsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs chicken wings 15 - 20 wings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil can substitute another cooking fat of choice
- 3/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce
- 1/4 cup ghee melted
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce, 1/3 cup melted ghee, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, and minced garlic in a bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil or another cooking fat of choice to a cast iron skillet. (Do not use more than a tbsp because it will settle in the bottom of the skillet and thin out your buffalo sauce when it cooks in the oven.) Heat to medium high heat.
- Once the skillet is hot add the wings. They should sizzle when added to the pan. Salt. Lightly brown on both sides. This takes approximately 4 - 6 minutes. You're not trying to fully cook your wings here, just searing the outside.
- Spread 1/3 of your sauce over the wings. Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven. Flip wings. Spread another 1/3 sauce over the wings. Place back in oven for 15 additional minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven. Flip wings. Spread remaining 1/3 sauce over wings so they're now fully coated. Serve!