This Chicken Sausage Breakfast is a hearty meal that you can easily whip up in about 20 minutes! Perfectly crispy and tender potatoes, chicken sausage, and eggs… OH MY.
We’ve probably already established that I love including potatoes as part of my breakfast routine. They help keep me full until lunch so I don’t turn into that vile hangry person I occasionally become.
To get those potatoes beautiful browned I like to sauté them in olive oil with diced onion on medium high heat until I see that gorgeous golden coloring. If you cover the potatoes too soon they can get very soft and don’t we all want a bit of a crispy outside? I’ll answer for you. We do. We really do.
Once my potatoes have browned I then add in the chicken sausage. Give them a few minutes to warm up. Finally it’s time to create a little room for the eggs, crack them in there, cover, and let it all cook until my eggs are just how I like them.
Psst I know this is traditionally a breakfast dish but I absolutely recommend making it when you need a quick lunch or dinner too. I do it all the time and nobody in my family complains!
What kind of chicken sausage is best?
You can use whatever chicken sausage you prefer. I personally love Applegate in either Chicken Apple or Sweet Italian. Both have a short and very clean ingredient list. Both are also dairy free and Whole30 compliant!
More recipes like this:
Chicken Sausage Breakfast HashPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 tbsp cooking fat of choice I use EVOO.
- 2 medium gold or yellow potatoes diced
- 1/2 white or yellow onion diced
- 2 chicken sausages cut into half circles
- 4 eggs
- salt & pepper
- Heat cooking fat (I use extra virgin olive oil) in a cast iron skillet or frying pan.
- Add diced potatoes and onion. Don’t overload your skillet or your potatoes will take a long time to brown. You want to have almost a single layer evenly distributed in your pan.
- Sauté on medium high heat, stirring occasionally until sides of potatoes have browned. This can take 5 to 10 minutes depending on your stove and the size of your potatoes.
- When potatoes have some good browning add your chicken sausage to the pan. Use a spatula to stir so they’re mixed in with the potatoes. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Use your spatula to create 4 holes in your hash. Crack one egg in each hole. Salt and pepper the eggs. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until eggs are how you like them. Garnish with green onion (optional). Serve!