Easy 20-Minute Chicken Tortellini Soup
This cozy chicken tortellini soup is ready in 20 minutes and uses store-bought cheese tortellini. It’s a simple entree that requires minimal time. You’ll love this comforting soup recipe!
I feel a little odd publishing a soup recipe in May but honestly this beauty should be a year-round dinner option.
This Easy 20-Minute Chicken Tortellini Soup is so fast, simple, and kid-approved. It’s a satisfying dish you can whip up when you have people to feed and very little time to do it in.
In an effort to save time, we’re using refrigerated tortellini. I use it often in my house, usually tossed in vodka sauce and paired with a side salad. Then one day I got tired of that meal and inspiration struck. Voila! Instead I used the tortellini to make a fun version of a classic chicken noodle soup. You can imagine how excited my kids were. Soup with cheese filled pasta? Score!
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Olive or avocado oil
- White or yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Chicken stock or broth
- Cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- Refrigerated cheese tortellini
- Fresh parsley
To make this soup we’ll start by sautéing the celery, onion, carrots, and garlic in a little oil. Once it’s fragrant and the onion is tender it’s time to incorporate the other ingredients.
Add chicken stock and bring to a quick boil.
Add shredded or chopped chicken, tortellini, salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano to stock. Cover and simmer on medium high heat until tortellini is tender. This can take 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh parsley. Top with shaved parmesan and enjoy!
What chicken is best to use?
Any fully cooked chicken will work beautifully in this dish. If you have leftover chicken that’s perfect! Or purchase and shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time.
Where can you find cheese tortellini?
For this soup I recommend the refrigerated cheese tortellini you can find in a refrigerated case usually by your produce section. It’s typically in bags or plastic clamshell packaging.
Can you use chicken or spinach tortellini?
You absolutely can use any refrigerated tortellini. I personally prefer cheese tortellini in this dish since the filling is the creamiest and compliments the other ingredients so well.
Can you use dried or frozen tortellini?
Fresh refrigerated tortellini cooks quickly and has the best flavor so I suggest sticking with it. If you’d like to use dried or frozen pasta you can but you’ll likely need to increase your cooking time. Consult the directions on the packaging to see how much time it will take.
What to serve with chicken tortellini soup
Top with shaved parmesan or my Homemade Croutons. Serve with baked bread (a baguette with butter and garlic would be perfect) or a salad. My Easy Homemade Italian Dressing would be the perfect addition to your salad.
How to store leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop on low to medium-low heat until warmed through.
Easy 20-Minute Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 64 ounces chicken stock, 8 cups
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped, I use store-bought rotisserie chicken but you can use any fully cooked chicken
- 10 – 12 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Add oil, celery, carrots, and onion to a soup pot. Sauté on medium high heat, stirring frequently, until onion is tender. Then add minced garlic and sauté until golden in color, about one minute.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a quick boil.
- Add shredded or chopped chicken, tortellini, salt, thyme, oregano, and pepper to stock. Simmer on medium high heat until tortellini is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh parsley. Taste and add more salt or pepper according to your preferences. Top with shaved parmesan or Homemade Croutons.