Confession: I am not a sweets person. I am a sweet person. But not a sweets person. I prefer and crave salt.
My go-to snack for the past few years is guacamole.
I remember visiting my parents once as an avocado hater. (I know. Who was I? Why would anyone want to hang out with me?) My brother in-law whipped up a fresh batch of guacamole. It changed my life. Can guacamole do that? Oh yes it can. Ever since then I have been the avocado’s biggest cheerleader.
So today I’m sharing my family’s recipe for the absolute best guacamole. I make it almost every week. It’s that good.
I enjoy mine with raw veggies, plantain chips, or tortilla chips.
Whip up a big bowl and I guarantee your family will be raving. If you choose to share with them of course. No judgment from me if you enjoy it while huddled in your closet so they can’t see you.
Family Favorite GuacamolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 ripe avocados soft but not brown on the inside
- 1 small tomato or 1/2 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
Optional: 1 jalapeno, cored & diced
- Half and scoop out the inside of your avocados. Add to a bowl.
- Mash your avocados until it's as smooth as you prefer. (My husband wants it extra smooth but I now some people prefer a chunkier consistency.)
- Stir in your chopped tomato, onion, and diced jalapeno (optional).
- Stir in your chopped cilantro.
- Add lime juice, garlic powder, and salt to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips or plantain chips (my favorite). You can also use it as a topping for your burger, chicken, omelet, or salad to make them extra special!
Guacamole (and avocados in general) brown quickly once they are cut and exposed to air. I always make my guacamole just before I'm ready to serve it (at most around 30 minutes before serving time). I've tried no less than 20 methods to reduce browning but the end result is still that it will brown and start to look unappealing. Do yourself a favor and make it right before you're ready to eat!
Nutrition information assumes 6 servings. If you're using the guacamole as a topping instead of a dip you may find that you'll use less than that amount.
If you make this and share it on Instagram I’d love to see it! Tag me and I’ll come check it out!
You know what goes great with guacamole? This Whole30 + Paleo Mexican Breakfast Casserole. Holy moly, it is good, friends.