Buffalo Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes
These Buffalo Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes are healthy and flavorful with a crispy, salty skin and a creamy center! Perfect for lunch, dinner, meal prep, or as an appetizer.
It’s been a long time since I shared my Broccoli Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes and honestly I don’t know I haven’t shared other flavor combinations since! The day for a new twice baked potato has finally arrived (and a third version is coming soon). Meet my Buffalo Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes!
Twice Baked potatoes require a little more work than a regular stuffed potato (they bake twice, hence the name) but I am a big advocate for taking that time. The creamy mashed potato mixture is just so very worth it.
These potatoes are roasted the first time to achieve crispy, salty perfection on the outside. Yes, you could microwave your potatoes to speed up the cooking time but why sacrifice that skin?! You can. But don’t. Unless you have guests coming in 10 minutes and forgot about it and it’s basically a life or death appetizer situation. I always support a shortcut in life or death appetizer situations. I am a reasonable person after all.
The inside is what it’s all about though. It is nothing short of dreamy. The potatoes have a buffalo ranch chicken center so ridiculously flavorful, you’re going to make happy noises. Those are allowed.
You can enjoy these potatoes as a hearty entree or as an appetizer. Drizzle extra ranch, hot sauce, and/or sliced green onion to the top of each potato when you’re ready to serve. They really wow!
What types of potatoes are best for this recipe?
Russet, yellow or gold, and sweet potatoes are all delicious in this twice baked potato recipe. Just be sure to pick potatoes of the same size so they’ll all cook in the same amount of time. A very large potato will require more time than a small one.
Can you save time by using the microwave?
I addressed this above but this is such an important point that I want to be sure I answer this question clearly. A true twice baked potato requires baking twice. The first time is to get that crispy (and salty if you’re using a good coarse salt!) skin. The second time is to heat up the incredible buffalo chicken mashed potato filling. Your total baking time will be about an hour and 15 minutes.
To save time you could microwave your potatoes for 7 to 10 minutes (all at once) until tender. And then pick up at step 3 of the recipe instructions. Your potatoes will still be super yummy but the skin won’t have that crispiness.
How to store these twice baked potatoes for meal prep?
These delicious potatoes are perfect for meal prep! Simply store them in an airtight container with a lid.
When you’re ready to enjoy, reheat them in the oven for best results (and crispier skin) or the microwave if you’re in a hurry.
More recipes like this:
Broccoli Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes
Dairy Free Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Soup
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Casserole
Buffalo Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 medium to large potatoes, Russet, yellow or gold, and sweet potatoes all work well.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp coarse salt
Buffalo Chicken Filling
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing, I recommend my Easy Ranch Dressing or Dairy Free Ranch Dressing & Dip but any store-bought ranch dressing will work.
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and dry your potatoes. Rub olive oil on the outside of each and sprinkle with coarse salt. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Potatoes will be crispy on the outside but soft and fully cooked on the inside. Remove from oven when done.
- Slice each potato in half and scoop out the inside and place in a mixing bowl. You'll still leave some of the inside there to keep your potato skins from falling in.
- In a bowl combine the insides of your potatoes with ranch dressing and Frank's Red Hot Sauce. Use a handheld mixer to whip your potatoes until you have a smooth consistency.
- Now stir in the shredded chicken, chopped spinach, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, and dill.
- Using a spoon fill your potato skins with the buffalo chicken mashed potatoes. Place them on the baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top with a drizzle of Frank's Red Hot Sauce or ranch dressing. Add sliced green onion if you like.
6 Comments on “Buffalo Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes”
These were so good! My only regret was not making more of them. haha We also made your ranch and it was great. It had been so long since i have had a twice baked potato. Going to have to add them to my rotation more often
Very good. A little spicy.
These are so yummy! My husband said he could eat the whole tray 🙂
My whole family loves these! These potatoes are delicious! I’ve made them multiple times with your dairy-free ranch dressing.
Tasted amazing everyone loved it I used mayonnaise and Fredrick’s buffalo sauce instead of red hot and ranch and it was awesome! Highly recommend for dinner also with a side of corn! 👌🏼
Glad the mayo sub worked for you!