Pistachio Herb Crusted Salmon with Asparagus
This Sheet Pan Pistachio Herb Crusted Salmon & Asparagus is top of the list of seafood for me. The crust is crunchy, salty, and very lemony. You’re going to want to put it on all the things. Don’t worry. I’m already working on that.
It bakes quickly in the oven along with asparagus so you’re getting a complete meal in less than 30 minutes. Plus, everything is Whole30 compliant, gluten free, and dairy free. You know that’s my jam.
Before we get to the recipe (you can click that Jump to Recipe button at the top if you’re especially anxious) I’m going to go all food nerd on you. Let’s talk about why salmon is good for us and the big debate about farmed versus wild fish.
First, why salmon? Salmon has lots of omega-3 fatty acids which do amazing things for the brain, heart, and joints. Studies indicate that foods with lots of vitamin D (like wild salmon) reduce our risk of cancer. Sign me up for that.
Now why wild salmon instead of farmed salmon? Farmed salmon is fed a processed feed that’s high in fat in order to yield very big fish. This dramatically changes the nutritional content for the salmon you eat. Farmed salmon may have a little more Omega-3 and a lot more Omega-6 (most people today eat too much Omega-6 already) but it also has more calories, fats, and sodium. The big thing for me is that farmed salmon contains 10 times more toxins than wild salmon. Yikes! So go wild, friends.
I’m taking off my food nerd hat now. There are obviously so many incredible benefits to including wild caught salmon in our diet. I vote that you do just that with this dish.
I promise you’re going to go pretty wild yourself over this particular recipe. Trust me. My son went back for seconds because he was such a fan. If this wins over seven year old boys it can win over anyone.
Sheet Pan Pistachio Herb Crusted Salmon & Asparagus
- 4 salmon filets, wild caught
Pistachio Herb Crust
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place salmon skin side down on a non-stick baking sheet or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add all Pistachio Herb Crust ingredients to a blender and blend until it's almost smooth. You just want to make sure you don't have any large chunks of pistachio. (You can also finely chop the basil and pistachios by hand if you prefer. Stir in the other ingredients until it forms a paste-like consistency.)
- Spread your Pistachio Herb Crust over the top of each salmon filet. You'll want to use every single drop. (It's really good!)
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Add asparagus to baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Salt.
- Place back in oven for an additional 8 - 10 minutes. Bake until salmon is cooked through. Salmon should flake easily with a fork and asparagus should be slightly wilted but still crunchy.