This Savory Skillet Chicken & Veggies is an easy healthy entree you’ll want to make again and again. It’s Whole30 compliant, dairy free, and gluten free too. Serve it with a side of Light & Creamy Mashed Potatoes, cauliflower rice, or traditional rice to take full advantage of the delectable sauce!
Christmas Break has officially ended over here as of today. My son is back at school. Oh it was a struggle getting him up and moving this morning. It was a serious struggle for his mama too. That’s me. It was hard for me.
But I am oh so ready to resume my regular recipe schedule and this week is going to be an especially good one. Let’s get to it, shall we?
My inspiration for this recipe is a Coq Au Vin, a French dish of chicken (the entire chicken broken down) braised in wine with butter, mushrooms, onions, and occasionally carrots. My Savory Skillet Chicken & Veggies includes chicken thighs (not the entire chicken), zero alcohol, and no mushrooms or dairy. Sooooo yeah it may seem like a stretch. But this is how my mind works, folks. It’s scary in there.
The trick to any skillet chicken is to really brown both sides of the chicken before adding your other ingredients. Otherwise you end up with beige chicken. And yuck. We do not want that.
These chicken thighs achieve golden brown perfection before simmering in a savory sauce of chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and bacon. Carrots and asparagus complete this dish to give you that veggie boost we are always looking for at dinnertime.
Make it tonight and let me know what you think! If you share a photo of your masterpiece on Instagram tag me so I can check it out!
Craving more easy skillet chicken? My Coconut Lime Chicken features a creamy dairy free sauce and my Sun-Dried Tomato Lemon Chicken includes sun-dried tomatoes, capers, wilted spinach, garlic, and plenty of lemon. Two more yummy dinner options for you!
Savory Skillet Chicken & VeggiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 slices bacon diced, (Wellshire Turkey Bacon is my personal favorite.)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups carrots cut into circles, approximately 6 large carrots
- 6 oz pearl onions frozen, no need to thaw them
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup asparagus cut into fourths, thin stalks will cook the fastest
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tbsp water
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Add diced bacon and cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until bacon starts to get crispy. Add minced garlic to the pan and sauté for an additional 2 minutes until bacon is crispy and garlic is a golden brown. Remove the bacon and garlic to a plate and set aside.
- Lay the chicken thighs out on paper towels. Pat dry.
- Add another 1 tbsp olive oil to skillet. Place chicken thighs in the pan. Liberally salt and pepper the side facing up. Brown the chicken, flip, and brown the other side. Chicken does not need to be cooked through at this point but you do want to get each side beautifully browned before moving on to the next step.
- Add carrots, frozen onions, chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary to the skillet. Cover and simmer on medium to medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add your asparagus cut into fourths. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce remove the chicken from the pan. Turn off the stove. In a small container shake together 1 tbsp arrowroot flour with 1 tbsp water. Pour the flour mixture into the skillet and stir. Sauce will begin to thicken immediately. Add your chicken back to the skillet. Serve!