Sun-Dried Tomato Lemon Chicken
Sun-Dried Tomato Lemon Chicken is sautéed with vibrant flavors like sun-dried tomatoes, lemon, and capers. It’s ready in under 30 minutes, healthy, and includes an amazing sauce!
Update: This recipe was originally published in 2018 and has been republished with all new photos.
This dish includes a few of my very favorite things: sun-dried tomatoes, capers, and lemon.
Sun-dried tomatoes, capers, and lemon all offer such distinct flavors that really go beautifully together. Sun-dried tomatoes are sweet but not sweet in the way that fruit is. Do you know what I mean? The flavor is more layered.
Capers are briney and salty. They’re small that they don’t overpower but they add a little burst of something special in every bite.
And of course we all know I’m in a very serious relationship with lemon. It’s pretty exclusive these days. The bright tart taste is just perfection in both savory and sweet dishes.
Sun-Dried Tomato Lemon Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken breasts: We’re using boneless and skinless chicken breasts in this entree.
- Olive oil: Before adding the sauce ingredients, we first sear the chicken in extra virgin olive oil to achieve a beautifully golden color.
- Chicken stock: The chicken stock helps create the sauce for this chicken. You can use chicken stock or broth.
- Unsweetened canned coconut milk: We’re using just a little canned coconut milk. Since it’s a small amount and unsweetened you won’t notice any coconut flavor in this dish.
- Lemon juice: The bright flavor of lemon pairs so well with the garlic.
- Julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes: I recommend using the julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes. They come in a jar and they’re mixed with oil.
- Minced garlic: You can mince your own garlic or use a jarred variety.
- Capers: Capers have a salty, briny flavor that’s very distinct. It adds a depth of flavor to our sauce.
- Fresh spinach: Spinach is filled with antioxidants, vitamin K (one cup has almost double the daily requirement), and iron. It’s considered one of the best superfoods!
- Seasonings: Salt, black pepper, and dried basil are all you need to add more flavor to this easy entree.
Season your chicken and sauté in a skillet until browned. The key to achieving that golden color is making sure you’re sautéing the chicken on medium-high heat. Anything less yields beige chicken and nobody wants that.
Then add the remaining ingredients to create a vibrant and super flavorful sauce. This entire dish takes less than 30 minutes! How’s that for fast and easy?
Can you use a milk other than canned coconut milk?
Do not use any coconut milk other than canned unsweetened coconut milk. I get this question a lot. Canned coconut milk is thick and not as watered down as the kind you’ll find in the refrigerated section of the store. I prefer Thai Kitchen (make sure it says unsweetened and does not say low fat) but there are other brands that work well too!
Make sure you stir the canned coconut milk before using because it will separate in the can.
What sun-dried tomatoes are best to use?
I recommend using the julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes. They come in a jar and they’re mixed with oil. They really continue to marinate which enhances the flavor. Be sure to drain the oil before adding your tomatoes to the skillet.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
How to Serve
Serve this skillet chicken over white rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice and alongside your favorite veggies. My Easy Roasted Broccoli and Garlic Green Beans will pair beautifully with this chicken. A quick simple side salad also works well too.
Sun-Dried Tomato Lemon Chicken
- 1½ – 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
Sun-Dried Tomato Lemon Sauce
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes , drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, or 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons brined capers, rinsed
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, or spinach/arugula mix (my favorite)
- Add olive oil to sauté pan or cast iron skillet. Heat pan to medium high heat.
- Add chicken to hot pan. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and dried basil on top of each breast. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip chicken. Cook until remaining side of chicken is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add chicken stock, canned coconut milk, lemon juice, sun-dried tomatoes (make sure you drained the oil), salt, pepper, garlic, and capers. Cover and let simmer on medium low heat for 2 to 3 minutes to heat sauce.
- Add spinach leaves. Stir a little so they’re in the sauce and not just covering your chicken. Cover and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until leaves start to wilt.