Air Fryer Sausage with Vegetables
This healthy air fryer sausage and veggies meal is so very easy and quick! It’s a great addition to your weeknight meal rotation!
Update: This recipe was originally published in 2022 and has been republished with all new photos.
I love using fully cooked sausage as my protein in weeknight dinners. It cooks so quickly since we’re basically just heating it up. Pair that with a delicious veggie and your meal is done!
Air Fryer Sausage with Vegetables Ingredients:
- Zucchini: Zucchini is one of my favorite veggies. It softens quickly as it cooks, making it a great choice for the air fryer.
- Green beans: Start with fresh green beans, trim the stem end (not all of them will still have this), and slice them in half. Halving them keeps them from being too long and means they don’t overpower each bite.
- Bell pepper: Any color will work well.
- Fully cooked dinner sausages: Use your favorite fully cooked sausage. Chicken, beef, turkey, or pork would all work. I prefer Applegate chicken sausages because the ingredient list is short but the flavor is always great. I get mine at Whole Foods or Sprouts. (Not an ad. Just sharing my preference if you’re looking for a brand to try.) Two other brands you might enjoy are Bilinski’s and Aidells.
- Seasonings: Dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper all create the perfect seasoning blend for this easy meal.
- Olive oil or avocado oil spray: The oil helps make our veggies tender and ensures we get that browning we want. We don’t need much when we’re cooking in the air fryer.
What sausage works best?
Use your favorite fully cooked sausage. Chicken, beef, turkey, or pork would all work. I prefer Applegate chicken sausages because the ingredient list is short but the flavor is always great. I get mine at Whole Foods or Sprouts. (Not an ad. Just sharing my preference if you’re looking for a brand to try.) Two other brands you might enjoy are Bilinski’s and Aidells.
Should you preheat your air fryer?
Absolutely preheat the air fryer whenever possible. Even just a few minutes can help! But know that if you forget it will still work out. You might just require a few extra minutes of cooking at the end.
How to Make This Meal in the Oven
Would you rather make this easy meal in the oven instead of the air fryer? To cook in the oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the sausage and veggies on a 12″ x 17″ parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.
What air fryers do I recommend?
These days I have two air fryers that I use and love. Both are large enough to accommodate this recipe. (I don’t recommend using a compact air fryer to cook this amount of food unless you’re cooking in 2 to 3 batches.)
This GoWise 7 Quart Air Fryer is my favorite basket style option. It holds a lot of food and is reasonably priced for an air fryer of this size. Since your food cooks in a fairly deep basket you’ll want to be sure to stir or shake the ingredients about halfway through cooking.
This Cuisinart Air Fryer can also be used as a convection oven and toaster. It’s more expensive but I decided it was worth the investment once I learned how much I was using my air fryer. This beauty now sits on my counter full-time since I use it every day!
Does this meal freeze well?
Yes! If making this meal for future enjoyment you can freeze it in an airtight freezer safe container (like freezer bags). Then thaw and reheat in a skillet on the stovetop or in the microwave.
How to serve this
If you’d like to keep this meal low carb, serve with a simple side salad. My Easy Homemade Italian Dressing would be perfect!
To make this meal more satiating, serve with brown rice or my Baked Herb Potato Rounds.
Air Fryer Sausage with Vegetables
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into half circles
- 12 ounces green beans, cut into halves or thirds
- 1 bell pepper, any color, cored and cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin, can sub avocado oil spray
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces fully cooked sausages, 4 dinner sized links, sliced into 1/4 inch thick circles
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, green beans, and bell pepper. Generously spray with avocado oil spray or add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Season with dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir so vegetables are all fully coated with seasoning.
- Add the seasoned vegetables to the preheated air fryer. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the sliced sausage. Stir. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.