20 Minute Skillet Sausage & Zucchini
Throw together this quick skillet dinner when you need a healthy and satisfying meal in a hurry! You’ll love this perfectly seasoned mix of sausage, zucchini, peppers, and onions. Whole30 compliant, dairy free, gluten free — and extra delicious!
This 20 Minute Skillet Sausage & Zucchini is easy and flavorful. It tastes a lot like a classic Italian Sausage and Peppers dish but you’re getting some extra veggies in there thanks to the zucchini.
This recipe really needs to be in your weeknight dinner rotation. It’s just one of those quick meals that’s perfect for when I don’t really want to be in the kitchen. You have those nights too, don’t you? Those nights when the idea of coming up with something to eat, making it, and then cleaning it up… I’m exhausted just thinking about it. But this one skillet wonder involves minimal prep and clean up. It’s simple enough to do when I want to do nothing.
Zucchini, onion, and bell pepper… light but super tasty! Chop those veggies up so they’re all close to the same size. This ensures you can get a little of everything in each bite and smaller pieces means they’ll cook faster too.
We’re using lots of seasonings to really make this skillet meal special. The list might feel a little long but you likely have everything you need already. You’ll need dried oregano, dried basil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Simple seasonings that give us plenty o’ big flavor!
Enjoy this comforting meal alone or serve it over cauliflower or traditional rice. Either way you’re going to be happily gobbling it all up in 20 minutes or less. BOOM. My kind of recipe, friend.
What kind of sausage should you use
Any fully cooked sausage will work. Chicken, beef, pork, or turkey are all great options. I prefer Applegate Chicken Sausage (the one from the refrigerated case and not the frozen section) because their ingredient list is incredible and I’ve never tried one of their varieties that I didn’t like. Not an ad. Just my preference! The Chicken & Apple flavor is my personal favorite. Aidell’s is another great brand you may enjoy!
If Whole30, make sure you select a Whole30 compliant sausage. You’ll want to read the label because many brands will include sugar. Applegate, Aidell’s, Teton Waters Ranch, Pederson Farms, and Belinski’s all have Whole30 compliant (or approved) sausage options.
More recipes like this:
20 Minute Skillet Sausage & Zucchini
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 4 fully cooked sausages, sliced into circles 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 onion, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (close to same size as zucchini)
- 1 bell pepper, any color, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (close to same size as zucchini)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
Optional: Fresh basil for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add sliced sausage. Sautè, flipping sausage frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until sausage slices have some browning. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to skillet with the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper. Sprinkle with salt, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. Stir. Let cook until the onion is translucent and peppers and zucchini are close to tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add sausage back to the skillet along with minced garlic. Stir. Cover so everything heats through for 1 to 2 minutes. Taste. Add extra salt if desired. Garnish with chopped fresh basil (optional).