Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins
These cheesy egg muffins are loaded with chopped broccoli. Make this easy breakfast in advance and then pop them in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy. 8 grams of protein in each egg muffin!
During our never ending kitchen remodel I needed a quick breakfast I could make ahead and heat up quickly. Egg muffins have always been a favorite way to get that fast portable protein in! So I decided to use my Broccoli Cheddar Frittata recipe as inspiration for these Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins.
If you’re new to egg muffins, think of them more like an omelet or frittata than an actual muffin. They’re basically a frittata in the shape of a muffin! That way they’re in individual serving sizes and can be easily used for meal prep. (Of course you can serve them as soon as you make them too if meal prep isn’t your thing.)
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Olive oil
- Shredded cheddar cheese
To make these egg muffins, whisk eggs with milk and seasonings in a large bowl.
Grease your muffin tin with olive oil. Divide the chopped broccoli between each cup. Top with shredded cheese. Bake and you’re done!
Can you use another cheese?
I prefer cheddar in this particular recipe, but swiss, mozzarella, colby jack, gouda, or parmesan would be delicious alternatives.
How to prevent sticking
Egg muffins love to stick to muffin tins BUT this is easily avoided. I recommend swiping a generous amount of olive oil along the inside of the each muffin cup in the tin. You can use a nonstick spray if you prefer too but I’d caution you not to skimp on it!
How to refrigerate egg muffins
These egg muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. To reheat, microwave each muffin for about 15 seconds or until warmed through.
How to freeze egg muffins
Once your egg muffins are completely cooled just add them to a ziplock bag and place them in the freezer. When you’re ready to reheat you can wrap each muffin in a wet paper towel (to help hold in the moisture) and heat in the microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds. Add more time if necessary.
How to serve these
Egg muffins can be enjoyed as is with no sides at all. Especially if you’re gobbling these up as a grab and go breakfast!
Sitting down to eat? Serve these Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins with fresh fruit and potatoes. I recommend my Easy Diced Air Fryer Potatoes or my Southwestern Skillet Potatoes. If you’re planning to entertain guests for brunch you’d love my Fruit Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing too!
Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup broccoli, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with the olive oil (or use a spray). Don’t skimp on this or your eggs will stick. Make sure you grease both the sides and bottom of each muffin cup.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with milk, salt, ground mustard, pepper and chili powder until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup.
- Divide the chopped broccoli between each cup.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese in each cup.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until egg is firm. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. The egg muffins will puff up a lot while baking. They’ll settle down over the next 5 minutes as they cool. Once cooled, use a fork or small spatula to gently pull the egg muffins from the pan and serve.