Easy Sausage & Cabbage Skillet
Tender sautéed cabbage and sausage together create a remarkably simple meal in under 30 minutes!
Cabbage has always been one of my favorite vegetables. When I was growing up my parents would steam it and then give it a heavy dose of salt. (that’s really all it needs). I love to roast it because I’m a big fan of all the crispy bits roasting gives it. Anyone else? If that’s your thing try my Roasted Red Cabbage. My other favorite method is sautéing it like in my Simple Sautéed Cabbage.
This Easy Sausage & Cabbage Skillet is a meal on it’s own with perfectly sautéed cabbage, your favorite dinner sausage, garlic, salt, pepper, and a little crushed red pepper.
You can use any sausage you like but I tend to prefer Applegate since their ingredient list is super clean and simple.
To make this dish you’ll brown your sausage and then set it aside. You could skip this since the sausage is fully cooked and simply heat it with the cabbage at the end. However, I really enjoy getting that beautiful coloring on the sausage and you’ll have a hard time achieving that without cooking it for a few minutes on it’s own. I really think it’s worth the extra time.
Once the sausage is done and removed from the pan, sauté the garlic for a quick minute until golden.
Add the shredded cabbage, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. (You can omit the red pepper to keep it really mild.) When you first add the cabbage it will completely fill the pan and you may wonder how it will all fit. Don’t worry, it will! Just stir it occasionally as it cooks. It wilts and becomes perfectly tender.
Once the cabbage is tender, stir in the sausage and heat until warmed.
Done! Now that’s an easy meal, right?
How to shred cabbage
- Remove any tattered outer leaves.
- Cut the cabbage in half or in quarters.
- Carefully cut out the core and discard.
- Place the cabbage (halved or quartered) so flat side is touching the cutting board. Slice into thin shreds that are about about 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide.
More recipes like this:
Easy Sausage & Cabbage Skillet
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 4 full cooked sausages, sliced into circles 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Optional: 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet (I use my 12" for this recipe) over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add sliced sausage. Sautè, flipping sausage frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until sausage slices have some browning. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to skillet with the garlic. Sauté for 1 minute or until garlic starts to get that golden color.
- Add shredded cabbage, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes (optional). Stir. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is close to tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add sausage back to pan and stir until combined with cabbage. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes until sausage is warmed and cabbage is tender. Taste and add more salt if desired.