Recently we were eating at a restaurant that served a complimentary bruschetta appetizer to all of it’s guests. I’m not usually someone who orders it but this one smelled strongly of garlic. Since garlic is my love language I couldn’t say no. It was really out of this world good. Naturally it got me thinking about how to incorporate those flavors in a better for you dish.
Y’all, you’re going to go gaga for this Healthy Bruschetta Chicken.
Bruschetta is widely known as a mix of tomatoes, basil, garlic, and mozzarella or parmesan served over grilled bread. Mine is a bit different.
This is an entree, not an appetizer. I’ve included no bread and no cheese. It’s just not necessary with so many other big flavors.
This version includes fresh tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Oregano? Yes! Oregano! It smells so incredibly fragrant. The leaves are small so there’s not much cutting involved. It pairs beautifully with all the other ingredients. I know it’s not in most bruschetta but it should be.
There’s also garlic, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
For punch I used extra balsamic vinegar to make a quick balsamic reduction to drizzle on top. You need no other ingredients. Just balsamic vinegar and a few minutes on the stove. The end result is a thick sauce that clings to your chicken perfectly.
That’s it! This is one dish that’s sure to wow!
Healthy Bruschetta ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 ripe roma tomatoes diced
- 7 basil leaves chopped
- 1 sprig oregano chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Add olive oil to saute pan or cast iron skillet. Heat pan to medium high heat.
- Add chicken to hot pan. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and dried basil on top of each cutlet. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip chicken. Add garlic to the pan. Cook until remaining side of chicken is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir together until combined.
- Pour over your cooked chicken breasts.
- Add 1 cup balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium. You should see bubbling along the outside of your pan. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally as vinegar begins to thicken and coat the spoon. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes. It will thicken a bit more as it sits and you'll end up with around 1/4 cup of balsamic glaze.
- Drizzle over bruschetta topped chicken.
Made this and love it? If you share a photo of your finished product on Instagram tag me so I can check it out!
Fancy another chicken recipe? I’m obsessed with this Pineapple Ginger Chicken!