Quick Chicken and Peppers
Keep dinner simple but delicious with this easy entree of chicken and bell peppers! Serve over rice, roasted veggies, pasta, or potatoes.
This easy entree is inspired by my Sausage & Peppers Skillet and Skillet Chicken Fajitas. It’s got a little bit of both in there! I love this for a last minute dinner solution when I just don’t want to cook. Some days or just those kind of days, friend.
But the great news is you can throw this together with only chicken, bell peppers, garlic, and a few seasonings.
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Bell peppers
- Minced garlic
- A few simple seasonings
To make this recipe, start by seasoning the chicken and browning it in a little oil. Then set aside.
Add the remaining oil to the skillet with sliced peppers. Sauté until tender-crisp. Add the garlic and sauté until golden. Then stir the chicken back into the skillet and warm.
Serve over white rice, cauliflower rice, roasted veggies, pasta, or potatoes. Of course you can always do what my son does and serve this in flour tortillas!
What color bell pepper is best to use in this entree?
I love a mix of colors! I like to use one yellow and one green bell pepper but any color works!
What size skillet should you use?
I recommend an 11 or 12″ skillet. You’ll be able to accommodate more food in the pan this way which ensures quick and even cooking. Using a skillet that’s too small increases your cooking time. It also makes it much more difficult to achieve the browning we want.
Is this entree good for meal prep?
This recipe is delicious for meal prep because both the chicken and bell peppers hold up well after reheating. You can refrigerate in airtight containers in your refrigerator until ready to eat. Warm on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Is this freezer friendly?
Yes! You can freeze in an airtight container. When you’re ready to enjoy just thaw and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
How to serve this
Serve over white rice, cauliflower rice, roasted veggies, pasta, or potatoes.
More recipes like this:
Garlic Crushed Red Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
15-Minute Italian Chicken & Peas
20 Minute Skillet Sausage & Zucchini
Quick Chicken and Peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lb chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add your chicken to the skillet. Season with salt, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and pepper. Sauté, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes or until chicken pieces are cooked through with some browning. Set chicken aside when done.
- Cut off and discard the top of your bell peppers. Remove the seeds. Cut peppers into 1-inch pieces so they're similar in size to your chicken.
- Add peppers to the skillet with the remaining oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they're tender. Add minced garlic and sauté for about one minute until golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add chicken back to the skillet and stir everything together. Cover so everything heats through for 1 to 2 minutes. Taste. Add extra salt or pepper if desired.
- Serve over white rice, cauliflower rice, roasted veggies, pasta, or potatoes. Of course you can always do what my son does and serve this in flour tortillas!