Sautéed Parmesan Asparagus
This perfectly sautéed asparagus is flavored with lemon and parmesan cheese. It’s a side dish that has everyone clamoring for seconds!
This asparagus is an actual dream. Lemon and garlic makes everything better, am I right? My favorite part is how the grated parmesan gets golden and just a smidge crispy when added to the hot pan. It truly makes this asparagus addictive!
For this recipe you’ll need (full list of ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below):
- Olive oil
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
How to store fresh asparagus
I store my fresh asparagus the same way I do my fresh herbs! As soon as I unload the groceries I stand my asparagus up in a glass jar and add about 2 inches of water. Then place the jar in the refrigerator (mine sits on a shelf in the refrigerator door) until you’re ready to cook the asparagus.
How to prep asparagus
Asparagus stalks have a tough woody end that you want to remove before cooking. It’s often white or a different shade of green than the rest of the stalk and it’s so fibrous that it’s not enjoyable to eat. There are two ways to remove these ends:
- One way to do this is to snap the ends off by holding a stalk in both hands and breaking the woody end off.
- Another option is to hold a few asparagus together on a cutting board using one hand and then using a knife in the other hand to cut the ends off. This allows you to trim faster because you’re doing more than one stalk at a time. The downside of this method is that you may waste some of the asparagus by cutting too much.
Can you make asparagus ahead of time?
You can but asparagus is best when enjoyed immediately after cooking. It gets mushy when refrigerated and then reheated.
How to serve this
I love this asparagus with Air Fryer Salmon, Almond Crusted Ranch Chicken, or Salisbury Steak in Mushroom Gravy.
Sautéed Parmesan Asparagus
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Rinse the asparagus. Pat dry with a paper towel. Trim off the end pieces (approximately 1-2 inches).
- Add oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, add trimmed asparagus in a single layer. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, flipping occasionally, until stalks are just on the verge of tender.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper to the asparagus. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Then stir in grated parmesan cheese. It will turn golden in color right away since everything is hot. Turn off heat so your cheese doesn't burn.
- Serve immediately. Optional: Add an extra drizzle of lemon juice and/or shaved parmesan to the top of the asparagus as you plate.