When I first began paying attention to the ingredient lists of the food products I was purchasing I was genuinely surprised by all the unnecessary junk thrown into barbecue sauce. So many of them are filled with high fructose corn syrup and food coloring. Sugar or corn syrup are usually the very first ingredient! I knew right away that I wanted to create my own that was free from these things.
This Sugar Free Oven Baked BBQ Chicken is the result of lots of trial and error. It’s simply sweetened with no sugar, corn syrup, honey, or molasses. That means that enjoying it won’t compromise your healthy lifestyle. Plus it’s Whole30 compliant!
The chicken comes out juicy because it bakes in the sauce.
The sauce is smooth (not too thick and not too runny).
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Sugar Free Oven Baked BBQ ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-8 chicken thighs boneless & skinless
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a bowl and stir until well combined.
- Place the chicken thighs in a baking dish or on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle salt on top of each thigh. Divide ghee or olive oil on top of each thigh.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dish from oven and liberally brush sauce on top. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip the chicken over. Liberally brush more sauce on top. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip the chicken over. Brush remaining sauce on top or (if you've used all your sauce) brush the sauce that's gathered in the bottom of the pan onto the top of the chicken. Turn the oven up to 425 degrees. Bake for final 10 minutes.