Weekend Breakfast Scramble
This breakfast scramble is worth getting out of bed on the weekends for but easy enough to whip up on a weekday too! Eggs, bacon, potatoes, green beans, and garlic — it’s all so good together!
I wake up on Saturdays ready to eat. And drink coffee. Obviously.
I love the slow speed of a weekend morning. We usually have nowhere to be and can just take our time and enjoy each other. My kids wake up at the crack of dawn (How DO you people end up with kids who sleep in? Please tell me your secrets.) The kids watch cartoons while my husband and I desperately try to sneak in a little extra sleep. And I bet you know how that works out? It doesn’t. At least for me. (My husband can sleep through a bomb going off.) I give up on sleep by 7 am and drink copious amounts of glorious caffeine while reading. Then around 9 I usually realize I’ve consumed the entire pot of coffee by myself and make another pot for David.
Finally after all of that, I’m ready to feed the fam! This Weekend Breakfast Scramble came about by accident. I had some leftover green beans that I wanted to incorporate into eggs. I sautéed them with scrambled eggs, potatoes, and bacon. Voila – this recipe was born! We’ve made this several times since then and it’s perfect now.
While it does have potatoes in it, I consider this is a scramble and not a hash. The eggs are definitely the star here but there are enough potatoes to make this a more satiating dish.
Do you like to transform your leftovers into something totally new too? My recipe instructions assume you’re making this yummy meal from scratch, but you can easily work any leftover veggies you have in the fridge into it too. Don’t add them to the skillet with the potatoes. Instead, since the veggies have already been cooked, add them in with the eggs. This will warm them up without overcooking them.
More recipes like this:
Weekend Breakfast Scramble
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 slices bacon, chopped, not diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
Optional Toppings: hot sauce, sriracha, or green onions
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Once hot, add your potatoes, green beans, onion, and chopped bacon. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until sides of potatoes are tender with some browning and bacon is crispy. This can take 8 to 10 minutes depending on your stove and the size of your potatoes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk together your eggs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and chili powder with a splash of water. This helps make them fluffy!
- Pour your whisked eggs into the skillet with potato, green beans, and bacon. Add the minced garlic. Reduce heat to low. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs are done. (The eggs will cook quickly since the pan is already so hot.) Feel free to add hot sauce, sriracha, or chopped green onions when serving!